Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Moonglow (Darkest London, #2) [Daisy Ellis Craigmore & Ian Ranulf] by Kristen Callihan

OMG. This book was IMPOSSIBLE to put down. I started one day Saturday evening, quite late, so I just managed 20%, then on Sunday I was reading non-stop until on 12:30 am I resigned myself to go to sleep but I just couldn't fall asleep! So I told myself, yeah, a little bit more and that's it. So I read for about an hour then went back to sleep but AGAIN, I just couldn't! So I just finished off the book and THEN fell asleep peacefully :)

I'm not sure which of the two I loved more - this one or the first installment. Ian and Daisy were a treat to read. They were both tortured each in his/her own way. Though we met Ian in the previous book there is MUCH that we don't know about him or his past. I guess it's pretty easy to guess what makes him look as young as he does and yet his past and what REALLY made him chase Miranda in the previous one, isn't what you think.
Daisy is tortured in another way, though she has a loving family (well, her 2 sisters..) her husband who passed away recently didn't treat her very well (to say the least!) and it left her heart and mind broken on some level. Now that her husband is dead she means to change her life, but since he had such a big influence on her mind it's not easy, it's especially near impossible to be able to trust a man, surly someone like Ian. Daisy is a real sweet heart, she is strong and independent as Miranda was but I think she has a more mischievous tone to her that makes reading her more fun. She also has something special about her that is revealed somewhere along the book which was interesting to read though I wouldn't have mind reading more about it. 

Ian on the other hand just wants to be left alone to live his life in relatively peace with no real need to show any kind of feelings. But as he saves Daisy's life from a new killer that struck London he realizes that this is an evil he MUST chase for more than one reason. 

As Daisy and Ian spend more time together they become very close, but more than that they come to enjoy each others unique personality yet both are reluctant to show their true feelings and moreover Ian especially knows that what is now between them can never really last. Unless.. 

After the first installment, and totally missing who the killer is, I actually realized quite soon who our killer is, nevertheless the ending of the mystery left me heartbroken. Yet the ending of the whole story and the resolve of Ian and Daisy's love put me back together. 

Near the ending of this book the events that lead to the next installment of Poppy and Winston is revealed leaving me with SUCH a taste for more! Also we meet Mary Chase and Jack Talent the MC in Shadowdance the 4th installment in the series. 

I'm going on vocation in a little bit so hopefully I'll finish as much as possible of this series before I return Saturday night to the comforts of my home, but mostly the comfort of my two precious dogs.

Have a great week!


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 384 pages, 29-30 November 2014 / On GoodReads
 
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES 
 
Darkest London is a Paranormal Historical Romance / Steampunk series by Kristen Callihan.
The series takes place in London (how shocking! ;)) around 1880~

All the main heroes in the books have a special power or legacy and as the series progress we also learn about the organization in charge of hiding the knowledge of people with special powers, demons and other beings from the general population. 

The series is mostly concerned with the Ellis siblings, starting out with Miranda, Daisy and Poppy in the first three installments and ending in the 7th and final novel of St. John. 

Each novel tells us of two characters finding their HEA but is also action packed with a murder and mystery to be revealed. In some books it's possible to guess who the villain is but you have to really watch for the clues! 

I love that though it's Victorian times all the woman characters are strong and quite independent and the men while being strong as well don't overpower the women or try to put them in a "certain place where they belong".

I'm not usually into Historical Romance but I really enjoyed the feel of London as being such a dark, smelly, menacing place. I loved the way Kristen described the paranormal world with the creatures is contains. We have Werewolves and Vampires as a lot of Paranormal series have, yet they are portrayed differently which was a nice change, also there are creatures I've never heard of before (Like the "GIM"). The whole setting and the way the "special beings" are brought to us felt very unique and interesting. 

Though I REALLY enjoyed the first 4 novels, but then came the 5th one and I did NOT like where Kristen was taking this series. The 6th one was a total disappointment which is why I decided not to read the last one - Forevermore (of St. John/Sin and Layla Starling). 
 
Do I recommend this series? I'm not sure. The first ones were AWESOME. So I don't know, I leave it up to you. 

Books
0.5 Ember [Miranda Ellis & Benjamin Archer] (published 31 January 2012) ★★★★★
1. Firelight [Miranda Ellis & Benjamin Archer] (published 31 January 2012) ★★★★★
2. Moonglow [Daisy Ellis Craigmore & Ian Ranulf] (published 31 July 2012) ★★★★★
3. Winterblaze [Poppy Ellis Lane & Winston Lane] (published 26 February 2013) ★★★★★
3.5  Entwined [Luella Jane & Eamon Evernight] (published 5 November 2013) ★★★★★
4.  Shadowdance [Mary Chase & Jack Talent] (published 17 December 2013) ★★★★★
5. Evernight [Holly Evernight & Will Thorne] (published 26 August 2014) ★★★★
6.  Soulbound [Eliza May & Aodh MacNeil/Adam] (published 24 February 2015) ★ (DNF 45%)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment