Saturday, June 5, 2021

Forgiven (Forgiven #1) [Mia & Luke] by Garrett Leigh

Honestly this book has been a struggle for me. I finished it for all the reasons that has nothing to do with the book itself. This book was angst galore and not in a way I appreciated. The interaction between Mia and Luke was simply IMPOSSIBLE. They were UNABLE to have any genuine conversation. I guess sex is a way of communication, and they did that well.. But with the history they shared and the troubles they were dealing with now, they needed more and they simply couldn't do it until it was (almost) too late.

Mia Amour has lived in the small town of Rushmere most of her life, but for the past few years she has been living in Paris. But now she is back, moving in with her brother Gus (her only living relative). While she loves her brother, losing their mother as well as the love of her life (even if at 17..) Luke leaving to join the military has been enough for her. But her big dreams were cut short by her manipulative husband so now, licking her wounds, she is back in town, not realizing Luke is back as well..

Luke Daley has left but not because he actually wanted to. After his father died and his mother was left to care for his younger brother (and himself) he decided to help her out financially by joining the military. That he did, but it didn't have the effect he wanted. It didn't save his younger brother - on the contrary - and it made him totally and absolutely miserable. For the past year he is back, managing his uncle's business (the one he hoped he wouldn't) with the help of his best friend Gus (Mia's younger brother). He didn't expect to stumble upon Mia and when he does everything comes back (not that anything really went away). 

Mia is still angry at the way Luke left and he still feels horrible for how bad he hurt her. But she can't ignore her physical connection to him, especially these days when so many things is going wrong. So she almost demands they have a physical relationship. I'm not even sure how to call it. It's not friends with benefits because they aren't friends (anymore), they barely speak and when they do they fight. This is basically Mia. A VERY self centered little girl (at 27) who can't see anything but he own troubles. She was this way towards Luke but also towards her brother who has done nothing but try to help her out. I don't think it's a wonder she found herself in a destructive relationship. She was just thinking what SHE will get out of it, not even WHO the person is and the fact she doesn't even care about him. I felt no connection what-so-ever to her. I kinda feel sorry for Luke THIS is who he ends up with.  

There is a bit more to this story. There is a danger to Mia (and Luke) by unknown source as well as a lot of family drama. All in all it was characters unable to articulate what they are thinking and getting the wrong impression about right around anything. They might know each other well, or they SAY they do, but they don't understand each other. Not the Amour siblings, not the Daley siblings and nothing in between. The ending, especially the mystery part, was rushed but we do get a resolve. 

The next book "Unforgotten" will feature Gus Amour and Billy Daley. I don't know what to think honestly, I have a feeling it's going to be more of the same. A damaged guy who can't speak of his feelings (or wants) - Billy - with a guy who is scared of committing to anything he might lose - Gus. I think I'll take a little break and then give it a go. I hope the fact Mia isn't the MC anymore (though it seems she and Luke will have a role in this book according reviews I've read) will surely help. 

I'm sorry for the tone of this review. While I liked both Luke and Gus, Mia really was a horrible person. I don't read a lot of M/F mostly because there are too many heroines I can't connect with - this was one of those. I'm usually a HUGE fan of Garrett, and LOVED the other M/F book she published a few years ago ("What Matters") maybe my reaction is also me not knowing WHAT HAPPENED? Garrett is an auto-buy for me (and she will definitely stay!).

Rating:
E-Book
Edition
215
pages
Read on:
4-5 June 2021
     

No comments:

Post a Comment