Sunday, August 4, 2019

Doubling Down (Double Trouble #2) by Cari Z. & L.A. Witt

My main issue with the previous installment "Double or Nothing" was Rich and Leo's relationship wasn't resolved in a "proper" way. I don't mind a HFN, but I couldn't feel a real couple when the book ended which made me feel a bit disappointed. I LOVED the book and really wished for a bit more from these two so I imagine how happy I was when this book was magically released!

I've been a slow reader the past month with too much going on in my life, so when I FINALLY sat down to read yesterday I wasn't sure how much I'll manage before I drop unconscious. Turns out I had more juice then I realized as I simply COULD NOT put this book down. I finished the book near 4 a.m. with burning eyes (let's not talk about how tired I was today...) with a HUGE smile on my face. NOW I didn't even need to close my eyes to imagine a beautiful future for Rich and Leo.



This book starts right around the time the previous one ended. While the guy who tried to kill Leo - Matteo Grimaldi was captured by the police, papa Grimaldi might be old but since it's PERSONAL he wasn't about to accept Leo's betrayal (as well as his daughter's..). Leo and Rich are still at a loss with who to trust with the police and Marshals so Rich turns to his old Marines team for backup hoping it'll be enough hiding together in the silo of one of his teammates (where they hid in the previous installment as well). This time they are ready for battle! Yet the old friendship, the obsolete trust is somehow not really there. Rich WANTS to trust his old team, as he wants to trust Leo, but Leo's general distrust of the guys and his own behavior Rich doesn't approve of makes it even harder to have a united front.

It was a fast paced read. Even when they were just sitting doing nothing there was still a lot going on, between Rich and his team, naturally between Leo and Rich who were TRYING to build something together even if they aren't sure what exactly, there's also Gianna Grimaldi. She was simply a TREAT. I loved everything about the woman. She was POWERFUL. She was born into the mafia so she could more than handle herself but she was also a really good person. She truly wanted her brother and Leo to be happy together unlike her father and brother who wouldn't have it. She was smart and cunning and in a way an almost motherly figure or just a big sister for Leo.  The no-nonsense kind who pushed you to fight for what you want.

This book wasn't long but it delivered exactly what the previous book lacked - a real closure to the Grimaldi sage - yeah, but more importantly a feeling Leo and Rich were able to build something real and they were willing to do what it takes to take it to the next step and make a future out of it. Hopefully with no fear of flying bullets.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. MUST be read after the first installment.

Rating:
E-Book
Edition
202
pages
Read on:
3 August 2019
  

No comments:

Post a Comment