Saturday, March 16, 2019

Wheels Up (Out of Uniform #4) [Dustin & Wes] by Annabeth Albert

I wanted to love this book, as much as I LOVED the other ones in the series and other books I've read by Annabeth, but this one just rubbed me the wrong way. I just couldn't stand Dustin and Wes' dynamics. While I got why Dustin was insecure about a relationship with Wes, his behavior just didn't work for me considering who he is, and his position. I get that some people enjoy being dominated, but somehow his TOTAL submissiveness even when on uniform felt off. How did he get to his current position with him being unable to stand up for himself about ANYTHING.

We've already met Dustin Strauss in the first installment where his little brother Dylan got together with his best friend Apollo. Dustin has known he is bi-sexual for years but he wasn't ready to out himself as one, still isn't. Finding himself talking to a guy on an app made things feel more real. He enjoyed their interaction the sexual one, sure, but also their friendship. When they have an opportunity to actually MEET in person they go for it even if both are rather reluctant. Once they meet they wish they could have more but since they live in the opposite coasts how could it work out? Also there are far too many secrets between them. Mainly one - the are both SEALs.



Wes Lowe isn't happy with his transfer. Being based where he was enabled him to be closer to his family and keep in check with his sister who has a heart condition. But changing base means an opportunity to meet Dustin again and maybe have a sort of relationship? Yet once he actually get to base and sees Dustin is going to be HIS OFFICER he realizes they are in the worst position. There couldn't be ANYTHING between them now, not even friendship.

Dustin does his best to behave "as he should", but it's VERY difficult for him, he mainly ignores Wes. Wes is pissed off about the whole thing. He WANTS Dustin but if he can't have him, seeing him every day and how he behaves drives him crazy and that's without the drama at home with his sister's health deteriorating. But there is nothing else really TO DO because being together in any capacity will put both of them at risk they can't take.

I only got to 37% when I realized this one just isn't for me and it's not going to change because I don't enjoy reading about these two when they actually find a way to be together. This is a romance novel and if I can't cheer the main couple then what am I doing here, right? My thing is Wes is UBER dominant and Dustin is a TOTAL submissive. their interaction at their real life is the exact opposite or suppose to be. Seeing how Wes is mostly angry and Dustin mostly frustrated made it feel like they are in the wrong kind of "job". Dustin doesn't feel like Officer material even when he is dealing with other stuff (like his LT). I just didn't get what he was DOING there.

The thing that made me realize I can't go on was a sentence that for me sums up Dustin and Wes

"Kiss me again"
Wes loved that Dustin didn't just go after what he wanted, instead waiting for Wes to take charge. 

This is Wes and Dustin. Wes in confident in himself and what he wants but on the other hand Dustin is unable to make decisions (and not just "in the bedroom"). He is unable to deal with the situation. He is unable to trust himself. All he wants is for someone to just TELL him what to do. This is a Navy SEAL Officer?! This is A MOUSE. I had ZERO respect for him. All his life he was afraid of admitting he is Bi. Why would he when he has a very out and proud brother and SO MANY friends who are gay. I understand that some people don't get the "Bi thing" but considering the positive and accepting environment he has always lived in I really can't believe there is much to fear.

I'm sorry about this rant, I am. Especially since I LOVED this series and I'm SURELY planning on jumping right into the next one ahead. I was never a huge fan of D/s. I mostly don't have patience for this kind of relationship as I happened to me in this one.

Rating:
★ 
DNF 37%
E-Book
Edition
304
pages
Read on:
15-16 March 2019
     

ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Out of Uniform is a Contemporary MM Romance series by Annabeth Albert. It starts as a sort of spin-off to the #gaymers series with a few visits from their characters but in each one at least one is at guy is in uniform - and specifically a Navy SEAL.

The biggest problem I have with this series is the fact, once you grab one of them, it'e IMPOSSIBLE to put it down. Each story is absolutely unique and SO SO beautiful and heart felt even with "manly men" as you'd expect SEALs to be. There's emotional ride both MCs need to get through, on their own, together and though it's painful at times, it's SO satisfying once you get to the very end.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Books:
1. Off Base [Zack Nelson & Pike Reynolds] (Published 9 January 2017) ★★★★★
1.5 Homecoming [Zack Nelson & Pike Reynolds] (Published 5 June 2017) ★★★★★
1.6 Off Leash [Zack Nelson & Pike Reynolds] (Published 17 May 2018) ★★★★★
2. At Attention [Apollo Floros & Dylan Strauss] (Published 10 April 2017) ★★★★★
2.5 I Do [Apollo Floros & Dylan Strauss] (Published 4 November 2017) ★★★★★
3. On Point [Maddox Horvat & Ben Tovey] (Published 5 June 2017) ★★★★★
4. Wheels Up [Dustin Strauss & Wes Lowe] (Published 7 November 2017) ★★ (DNF 37%)
4.5 Homebodies [Dustin Strauss & Wes Lowe] (Published 10 July 2018) [Didn't Read]
5. Squared Away [Mark "Wizard" Whitley & Isaiah James] (Published 16 April 2018) ★★★★★
6. Tight Quarters [Delbert "Del" Lawrence Bacon & Spencer Bryant] (Published 9 July 2018) ★★★★
- New In Town [Alex & Marco] (Published 26 October 2018) ★★★★
7. Rough Terrain [Lorenzo "Rooster" Bianchi & Canaan Finley] (Published 14 January 2019) ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment