Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Emma [Audible Production] by Jane Austen

This book was so much fun! I have never listened to anything like it! It's a REAL production. All the audio books I've listened to were narrated by one-two people who worked hard to bring to life all the characters with different voices and dialects. In this one we had a narrator (the one and only Emma Thompson) AND a full cast of characters, background sounds, music etc. I felt like I was truly inside a play. That's without even mentioning what I thought of the book itself! Which I DID enjoy. 

What was fun about this book, for me, was the ridiculous situations the characters found themselves in, the silly games they were playing all in the name of what's "proper" in society (and maybe what they could get away with...). But in a way, that's part of this book's charm. No one was REALLY likeable ESPECIALLY Emma Woodhouse, as Jane Austen herself said "I am going to take a heroine whom no-one but myself will much like". If this was any other "regular" romance novel I would have REALLY pitied the hero for "settling" for someone like her, but honestly, though Mr. George Knightley is portrayed as practically perfect, that in itself felt like a flaw. 

I just recently realized the 90s movie "Clueless" is based on this novel and you know what, the title couldn't be more fitting as Emma is truly and absolutely CLUELESS of the world around her. She tries to match make the people around her in the worst way possible, missing the mark SO FAR it was simply embarrassing to everyone involved. The way she catalogues people around her (and their worth...) felt like a series of excuses I'm not sure how she herself bought (so no wonder she changed her mind about half of them). She behaved as righteous and good natured but in the end she was another snobby and boring rich girl, looking to brighten and color her days with the lives of others, mostly adding the color with her meddling.

Emma lives at Hartfield Manor with her father. Her siblings have long since got married and left. Her father enjoys her company and spoiled her most of her life so it's no wonder she herself doesn't want to leave her father's side and prefers to stay single. Mr. Knightly is a frequent visitor at Hartfield. His brother is married to Emma's sister and he has become a great friend of her and her father. Actually he'd the only person who can criticize her in his honest way. He openly reprimands her for her matchmaking games and the way she judges other people's character and/or stand in society. Yet he is never malicious in his words. It's obvious he sees her as a good person who means well which IS true. 

There is a big cast of characters in this story, including the poor miss Harriet Smith whom Emma works SO HARD to find a man to marry (even though she already has someone she wants and wants her back..). I don't know how it would have felt reading this book and getting acquainted to everyone, through this production it was actually easier in a way. All the characters were colorful in their own way, each with his or her own quirks. I've got to say, I really enjoyed getting to know all of them, but it's also a part of the reason I reduced the ranking as some of their stories weren't THAT interesting. Too many social intrigues. What also felt a bit off for me was the way both Emma and Mr. Knightly came to realize they care for one another. While I could see it in Mr. Knightly, I can't say I BELIEVE Emma to be in love with him as much as she just WANTED him for her usual selfish reasons. Maybe it means they deserve each other? They get along which is a surprise in itself so maybe it's a good sign.. 

There's much going on in this one and I'm not going to get into it. I'll just say we genuinely get a happy ending in this one, which is totally what I bargained for. 

The thing I want the most when I finished listening (and what I can't have) is read or better yet listen to "Emerett has never been in love" by Anyta Sunday, which is a retelling of this one (contemporary and gay). Honestly, it's FAR better. Why? because I'm here for the romance, not the drama, intrigues or comedy. Emerett was being silly in his matchmaking games as well, but his feelings for Knight were honest from the start as well as Knight's towards him (even if kept to himself). Jane's story is far more complex for sure and it IS easier for me to read contemporary than historical novels especially British (as English isn't my mother tongue). 

I'm going to listen to all 6 novels by Jane. I'm not sure when, but probably in the near future (and I'll probably compare them as well to Anyta Sunday's series hehe). I really enjoy this way of "reading". At first it almost felt like "cheating" but I'm totally beyond that now. Especially with this wonderful production. I'll just say one more thing about it, this is NOT the original full length novel by Jane Austen. I'm not sure just how abridged it is. Probably not by THAT much (being 8+ hours long) but it was enough for me. I think reading or listening to more wouldn't have made this experience better as it did feel a bit long at a certain point.  

Honestly, I'll recommend this book if only for the listening experience! But besides that, it's a funny, engaging and silly novel with sprinkles of innocent romance. Also it's free for Audible members so.. :)

Rating:
Audio Book
Edition
8 Hours
21 Minutes
Read on:
30-31 January 2022
  

No comments:

Post a Comment