Saturday, August 29, 2020

Hitman vs Hitman by Cari Z. & L.A. Witt

I don't even know how much time it took me to read this book as I started and stopped a few times before I committed myself into it. Something about Ricardo and August/Augustus didn't "work" for me. They spent most of the book quarreling with one another disagreeing about anything and everything. The attraction was always there - I got that and I actually really appreciated that it took them time to act upon it. The book was very suspenseful but the real action started I think round 70% in and didn't stop right until the end which is when I got REALLY invested in the story. 

If you look at the almost satirical website "Rate Your Hit" you'd find the best hitman out there is Ricardo Torralba and right under him is August Morrison. This might look like the kind of website to have a good laugh about but it's actually genuine. But when Ricardo and August find themselves on the same job to off billionaire Lance Baldwin they feel like something is wrong. So very wrong. 

They run without finishing the job only to realize that since they didn't off each other whomever put them on the job is more than willing to finish it on his own. That means that though they're not exactly team players they need to work together and learn to trust one another and FAST.

Ricardo and August couldn't be more different even if they share the same job description. Ricardo used to be a Green Beret but he has left his profession as a sniper after his release for his current job. His only major no-no is avoiding collateral damage. August on the other hand is a HIGHLY rich and entitled guy and he has worked hard to fly under the radar not letting a lot of people figure out his real name is Augustus Mason. I gotta say it was pretty strange to me that these guys knew so much about the mob, their operators (the ones they weren't suppose to know so much about) and yet people from the outside couldn't figure out the guy in the expensive suit looks kinda familiar (when holding a gun)? 

I think a lot of people would have enjoyed the banter between these two but these days I have so much to do, and the little time I have to read I'm mostly dead tired. It works with some books but I start to see I'm less patient as I used to be, wanting things to simply HAPPEN already. It took these two time, to build something together, and for the action to start and I was growling at my kindle - let's get on with it! and then the action DID start and it was all over the place and I LOVED it! But the ending came too fast with a promise of more for this two but it's a HFN kind of finale. No time for pretty words just a promise of them getting into more trouble. It might mean we'll be getting more of these two, I don't know.. 

Rating:
★★
E-Book
Edition
259
pages
Read on:
22-29 August 2020
  

No comments:

Post a Comment