Friday, March 8, 2019

Suspicious Behavior (Bad Behavior #2) by Cari Z. & L.A. Witt

I am LOVING this series, I'm already bummed that there's just a whole novel and a novella and that's IT. Darren and Andreas are BEAUTIFUL together. I SO enjoy seeing them care for one another, think about each other and try to do their best even without saying actual words. You know, though I love reading about "tough guys" I mostly have to swallow the extremely bitter pill of their HUGE ego. It shows even more in their attitude towards one another as they get to know each other and especially when they are afraid they have already fallen (against their "will"). It doesn't happen here AT ALL. Once Darren and Andreas starts seeing eye to eye, understanding each other's motives and way of thinking (even when not agreeing) this sort of "ego" falls away. We see two guys working TOGETHER and then the relationship comes naturally. It was just PERFECT.

Before I actually start my review I have something to say I forgot mentioning in my review of the first installment and that's Asher. Asher is Darren's older brother (35 to Darren's 28) and though he doesn't have a huge role in the story he is always there in the back of Darren's mind and it shows, more so in this one. Asher was diagnosed with an early-onset Alzheimer. That's HORRIFIC. Early onset means genetic and it also means the disease progresses much quicker than the "regular" prognosis. Asher have been a  successful lawyer, working in the DA's office, he was happily married and his life was looking up when everything crashed down when he became ill. He got divorced, moved back home and his step-dad Vic retired a bit early to be able to help his wife take care of Asher. In this book Asher's state deteriorates even more which makes Darren even more anxious about Asher and about the possibility of him being in Asher's shoes soon enough. The whole situation was more than heart breaking especially with Andreas always in the background and the big question of what's going to happen to THEM when/if Asher becomes starts showing symptoms..

Since I already started with the "background" I'll continue on a bit with Andreas. In the previous installment his older daughter Erin came to town for an internship and found herself working for IA so since she is closer we can see their interaction. I would have really love to read more about his previous marriage and what broke it off, how he used to be when his kids were growing up. It's obvious that now that they are out of town he is more distant from them. They don't know what's going on in his life and it's something I hope we'll get more of in the next installment (I've read the synopsis.. seems they'll play a role there..). We also meet his younger daughter Emily and learn more about the strange situation with his ex-girlfriend. Thinking about the little I know of HER it doesn't surprise me the rumors everyone had on Andreas himself. Talk about "Show Me Your Friends, I'll Tell You Who You Are" ehm..

I think my review up until know shows two things - First, if you haven't read the first one what are you doing here? READ IT! This is the kind of series you HAVE to read by order as Darren and Andrea's story progresses little by little throughout it. Second, I'm here for the story, the romance and only lastly about the actual plot of a suspense novel hehe though it WAS extremely interesting and I didn't want to put it down. I was more than puzzled about their chosen "person of interest", it didn't make sense to me. But when all the pieces fell together I realized just how CLEVER it all was (though also sick and VERY disturbing.. we ARE talking serial killer...).

With everything going down after their previous case and all the dirty cops who are now behind bars the city is needing more cops and so Andreas and Darren find themselves working a case in Trevor's precinct as it's missing even more cops than their own (considering Trevor's involvement with the major..). It's a series of killing who seem to have no pattern yet somehow connected. The killer was never found and so it's up to them to try and figure it out. They do naturally, but the ride was more than bumpy with the other cops in their precinct and Trevor's doing their best to put sticks in their wheels. There was a certain point even I had enough and I didn't know how they'll even be able to catch their guy when NO ONES gives them a break. Well, except for Paula. I would start sending her cups of coffee MYSELF if she was a real person ;)

This was a wild ride for sure, but for me, the background of both Andreas and Darren's families were not just prominent - they were important. I feel like I got to know them personally much better as they got to know each other in a different way. They are also practically living together now so they take part in each other's lives even more than before. Can't WAIT for the next one, lucky for me it's already waiting for me on my Kindle.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Rating:
E-Book
Edition
253
pages
Read on:
5-7 March 2019
     

ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Bad Behavior is a Romantic MM Suspense series by Cari Z. and L.A. Witt. It follows the newly partnered Andreas Ruffner an experienced if non-orthodox detective and rookie Darren Corliss who has just made it detective. An unlikely couple, yet unlike Andreas' previous partners it somehow WORKS, better than either of them expected.

This series was simply SUPERB. Though both are confident men who know who they are and what they want they were ego free. Once they realized they COULD trust each other and little by little became friends and lovers they were genuine towards one another, not hiding or playing games. It felt so RIGHT how they interacted. Like two guys who REALLY care for one another and isn't ashamed of it, who is willing to BE THERE for one another in the most basic ways and not think too much of what others (or the other..) would think of it. Every thing they did, every gesture was CLEAR and simply PERFECT.

I LOVED how their romance progressed. There's always A LOT going on around them, but they never forget each other. They look out for one another in every sense possible and they are MEN enough to apologize when it's needed.

I can't praise this series enough. It's well written. Emotional but not overly so. Action packed, but it's not JUST about the action, there is much going on in both Andreas and Darren's families and everything just brings them closer together.

** The 5th installment "Protective Behavior" has a different couple - Detective Mark Thibedeau from Internal Affairs and Dr. Ryan Campbell. It was also an amazing novel, it contained everything I loved about the relationship buildup of Andreas and Darren though naturally it's very different in every other aspect.

OUTSTANDING! 

Books:
1. Risky Behavior (Published 29 April 2017) ★★★★★
2. Suspicious Behavior (Published 19 August 2017) ★★★★★
3. Reckless Behavior (Published 30 December 2017) ★★★★★
4. Romantic Behavior (Published 13 January 2018) ★★★★★
5. ** Protective Behavior (Published 8 April 2020) ★★★★★
6. Cuddly Behavior (Published 15 April 2020) ★★★★½
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment