Saturday, March 30, 2019

No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1) by Mary Calmes

Sadly, this book was a HUGE disappointment. I'm usually a big fan of Mary's books, I've actually read ALL of them, but this one just wasn't for me. I felt it was simply unrealistic. In a way I just couldn't relate to the MC or the story. After reading 21% I realized that my main issue won't change and I'm not in the mood to ignore it the whole book so I decided to put this book aside.

Brann Calder is working for Torus Intercession, a company which "fixes" things for people. Truth be told I'm not really sure what that means and the job Brann gets in this one DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. Brann is an ex Navy SEAL (been out for 6 months) he is sent miles and miles away to a small town on the border of Canada to help with the merging of two family and businesses. Yet what he is TASKED to do, from the start, is be the nanny to two little girls (5 and 7 years old) up until their father Emery Dodd gets married.



Let's understand this together. A guy with NO experience in taking care of children (who was also an only child to a barely functioning parent) is tasked to take care of 2 little girls, who somewhat recently have already lost their mother, for the duration of 3 months and then walk away. Great for stability, right? I don't know about you, but if I was a parent and felt like I couldn't deal with my kids because of "more work than usual" or whatever Emery needs to deal with now with the marriage and merging his previous wife's fortune with the one of his soon to be new wife, should take a REGULAR nanny, someone who will bring stability and trust into the equation. Someone the girls can feel more secure with. Not someone with NO experience with kids who is BOUND to disappear after 3 months. Also I don't know about you, but I won't be "hiring from afar" a nanny, without meeting the person and seeing them interact with the children s/he suppose to take care of.

The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way. It DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT. There is NO SENSE in the job Brann got or Emery accepting this "deal" even if he wasn't the one paying for it. But what annoyed me even more was how "natural" Brann was. After a few HOURS BOTH girls were head over heels in love with the guy, when even Emery was struggling. Also, if you have two little girl who lost their mother and are having issues - TAKE THEM TO THERAPY! and make sure they have the most secure environment possible to grow into. While getting married can be a good thing for them (and their future) it won't be a positive experience if they are still struggling with losing their mother.

I had a few other minor things that really got to me. But all in all my HUGE problem was what I just explained. The WHOLE book doesn't make any sense when you focus on this point. Naturally it could be just ignored, and I could have waited for Emery and Brann to fall in love and then give everyone the love, security and stability they needed but I just CAN'T. Not when the story feels absurd at this point.  Every book out there stretches reality a bit to give us a HEA, but I think the most amazing books bring us a story we can close our eyes and imagine happening in real life (and as long as there are no vampires and werewolves) I think it's a must. For me at least. Unlikely or improbable - yes. Because even in real life unlikely and improbable things happen. But UNREALISTIC is something else. These I can't and won't buy.

I'm terribly sorry Mary. This one wasn't for me.

Rating:
★ DNF 21%
E-Book
Edition
289
pages
Read on:
29 March 2019
  

No comments:

Post a Comment