Saturday, June 13, 2015

Bad Ex Karma by Donna Cummings

About two years ago, when I started my account on GoodReads I read a fantastic Anthology that introduced me to new favorite authors. It was then that I read more by Donna, short novellas as well as a VERY entertaining full novel - "I Do.. or Die" which I remember made me literally roll on the floor laughing. So even though it's "been a while" I had great expectations from this novel. I was really waiting for the release and bought it the day it was out (actually in the middle of an electricity break at work.. always productive!) and then I opened the book and started reading and nothing made sense.


I didn't like this novel. I didn't really like the main character Delia (our sole POV) and couldn't STAND her nose-y friends. Johnathan was a sweet heart, yeah, he was, but everything else was off for me. The first third of the book was centered around Delia and her two BFFS. They were annoying and too cheerful. This could have been a Young Adult novel with how silly they were. You know what maybe it was a  bit like "Sex and the City"? I can't really tell because I never actually watched that show.. (too silly..). Then when FINALLY Johnathan was introduced (two thirds into the book) most of the plot STILL centered around her and her BFFs. So much so that their first date was at a small get together with the BFFs and their significant others - them interfering (as usual) with the almost happy couple.

There was too little Johnathan and Delia and too much of her worrying thoughts and her BFFs. I'll admit I started skimming at a certain point I just wanted something to happen, especially between Delia and Johnathan but it was too little too late.

The ending was sweet, well it's all because of Johnathan and how deliciously sweet he is.  This novel/novella is a very light read, recommended for those of you who enjoy the rambling of an insecure woman who needs a good cup of that yummy man who knows how to appreciate her and make her put her unproductive negative thoughts aside.

I wish I liked it, I can't express just HOW sorry and disappointed I am. I expected this one to be another LOL novel that I can't put down but found myself doing the exact opposite. I really need to re-read "I Do.. or Die" sometime soon to be reminded of the awesomeness that it was.

Since this is the first week the book is out, I WON'T upload this review to GoodReads/Amazon YET. I don't want to discourage people from reading it based on my sole opinion. 



Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 159 pages, 11-13 June 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment