Saturday, February 21, 2015

Becoming Calder (A Sign of Love - Aquarius #1) [Calder & Eden] by Mia Sheridan

I can't, I just can't continue reading this book.. I usually give a book more time than I gave this one - 13% - yet the whole setting just put me off and I don't think it will change enough for me to keep on reading it.. 

I didn't know what to expect from this one, I'm guilty of not even reading the blurb.. it's just that I wanted to read more by Mia and this one has SUCH a high rating on GR.. The writing WAS great, and the way the story was told and the characters introduced as well as the world building itself was beautifully done and yet.. 

The story is told from both Calder and Eden's POV, basically they live in a religious cult. The life they lead is simply disgusting in my eyes. I don't get it, I'm not attracted to it, I couldn't care less for their apocalyptic views and I basically feel sorry for everyone there, especially Eden that suppose to be some kind of a messiah for the cult but is basically a sad little girl who is forbidden to have interaction with anyone besides the cult leader (who is MUCH older than her) and one of his mistresses who isn't even a nice person... 

Calder and Eden are attracted to one another yet they can't have a future together. Calder is a "worker" and she is suppose to marry the cult leader when she turns 18.. They can barely interact because of their different "status" in life so they mostly leave each other some sort of "memento" from the one time they DID talk. 

While the story started really good with a very engaging Prologue of Eden being away from the cult as an adult, the rest of what I read was something like a kid's book. It wasn't even Young Adult and it was boring since it had so much of the "world building" - how the cult functioned and it's beliefs. Again, who cares? If there was a glimpse into it and the story would have taken place in a sort of "modern" day or if it was a truly Historical novel (it does have the vibe though..) I would have liked it, yet the way it is, I couldn't find any interest in continuing reading..

So sorry for giving this one up so early on.. I still think "Stinger" and "Archer's Voice" by Mia are simply amazing! yet this one was a total miss for me.. I also won't be reading the next one (part two in the Aquarius sign), I'll skip to "Kyland".. 

This isn't really a "series" since each book is either a stand alone (like "Archer's Voice") or a 2-parts story (like this one), each book/s inspired by an astrological sign - this one is by Aquarius. You can see all the books under this "series" under the tag "A Sign of Love".


  (DNF 13%)

Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 335 pages, 21 February 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment