Thursday, June 16, 2022

The Jane Austen Collection - Sense and Sensibility [Audible Original]

Truth being told I'm not even sure WHEN I've listened to this audio book. It's been a while, maybe not a whole month but close to it. I'm not sure what I expected, I knew I probably seen some sort of movie version of this one and it's naturally one of the more famous ones but listening to it, I felt a little bored and / or annoyed by the two main female characters. They felt childish and not very truthful towards one another and mostly towards themselves. Maybe it's an age thing.

I'm not going to write a lot about the plot. Generally speaking two sisters - Marianne and Elinor Dashwood - together with their widowed mother (and younger sister) move out of their family home after the death of their father (and through that the loss of their fortune) and try to make it on their own as well as find a suitable husband. Well, maybe they aren't exactly looking for a husband but there is a lot of interest in finding a companion they feel comfortable and who appreciates them. 

The production was SUPERB. I loved the fact Marianne was played by Anya Chalotra - the actor who plays Yennefer of Vengerberg in the Witcher TV series. Hearing her voice here was a true joy. I already miss her in the Witcher so getting to hear her here was wonderful. I realize this is an abridged version and isn't true to the novel but actually I think it was better for me to get this version as I had a hard time following the plot - mainly the love interests as well as all the secondary characters. 

It's a story of growing up and realizing what's important in life. More for Marianne than Elinor yet both went through quite a lot of heart ache before they found what they were looking for. I guess if I would have been more patient with both of them and what they needed to go through, maybe I would have enjoyed this one more. 

I'll get back to this collection in the future as I really like the way the stories are composed. 

Rating:
Audio Book
Edition
8 Hours
30 Minutes
Read on:
May 2022
  

No comments:

Post a Comment