Friday, February 4, 2022

The Geek Who Saved Christmas by Annabeth Albert

Usually I'm a HUGE fan of Annabeth, but this one, I'm not sure why simply didn't grab me. I tried, I got to the middle of it, but realized I don't want to. Both MCs are cute, on their own and together, and I guess I just don't really need to know what happens. I don't have anything negative to say, I'm just not interested which feels.. mmm.. strange.  

Gideon Holiday and Paul Frost have been neighbors for years but didn't really interact. Like their names suggest - Gideon in bubbly and friendly and Paul is the kind to keep to himself. When the holidays arrive Paul accepts Gideon's offer to decorate the outside of his house FOR him to help the neighborhood effort. It's not a struggle for Gideon who actually doesn't have anything else planned for the month of December. He also willingly accepts Paul's request to make his house (the inside of it) worthy for Paul's younger brother and his soon to be wife. 

While at first they weren't sure about each other (due to wrong but not too mean mutual assumptions) they find they work well together. Gideon is bossy and Paul loves it. But he also enjoys being cared for, something people rarely do for him. Paul takes the challenge willingly. Half way into the book they might not call themselves a couple but they already are. There is no real difficulty between them. Only a few unsaid words. There's no drama, nothing to take away from their new found friendship and enjoyment of spending time together. 

I don't celebrate Christmas and generally speaking I rarely take part in holiday festivities which meant the whole experience Gideon was trying to convey was lost on me. Yet that's what the book was about, them going from place to place, looking for deals and ways to improve Paul's rather sparse home. I simply got bored. I'm sure they'll make it. They're good together. So I'm okay with leaving them to it. I truly wish there was something a bit more "complicated" in this story, something to grab me but sadly I didn't find it. If you love Christmas and the whole experience of it, you might ADORE this book, check out other reviews and maybe give it a try yourself.

Rating:
DNF 50%
E-Book
Edition
266
pages
Read on:
2-4 February 2022
  

No comments:

Post a Comment