Saturday, February 5, 2022

Spirited (Treasured #4) [Jack & Garrick] by Cari Z.

My thoughts are a bit jumbled. I liked this one but I can't say I loved it. It was action packed which was great, moving the plot and allowing the two MCs to work together and through that work their own issues with one another. The magical part was pretty cool! Each on his own as well as when they finally joined forces near the end.  

Detective Jack Haney is working a case and he isn't getting closer to solving it. There's a new drug on the market and since there's magic involved, it's almost impossible to track. That's where Garrick O'Connel - his former partner and lover comes in. They are assigned together AGAIN to try and catch the sorcerer who is making and distributing the drug. 

Jack says he hates Garrick for the way their relationship ended 5 years ago. He says there's a fine line between love and hate. But truth being told it's obvious he's just not over Garrick. He still loves him and he is upset with himself that one look at the guy and he can't handle himself and the emotions he awakens in him. From Garrick's actions it's obvious he never stopped loving Jack, it was Jack who was unable to forgive him and thus Garrick simply couldn't forgive himself. Working together allowed them to re-build the trust they lost. 

My main complaint about this one was Jack being TOO emotional. Even if he was a woman I would have thought the same. Why I'm saying that? Because it seems the first edition of this novella was a M/F (Jack being called Andrea). I'm not sure how much of the story was changed but his emotions were simply ALL OVER THE PLACE going from hate -> anger -> frustration -> hurt -> love in a whirlwind I was lost in. Garrick made one HELL of a mistake, I'll give him that. He deserved Jack's anger and hurt but Jack should have dealt with the whole thing better (and sooner). 

All of that being said, I DID enjoy this one as we basically get everything in not so many pages - drama and action as well as a sweet rekindling of a not so old flame.   

Rating:
E-Book
Edition
62
pages
Read on:
5 February 2022
  

No comments:

Post a Comment