Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Friendly Fire by Cari Z.

While I did enjoy this book I feel like it was somehow "half cooked". I would have loved seeing both men open up more, especially Lennox who stayed a closed book in front of Elliot. We only know about his past though small glimpses. The relationship buildup, even if wasn't lengthy time-wise felt very genuine. I could see how these two fell for one another even if no words of emotions are truly spoken between them. Which is a bit of my problem, I wanted MORE of them as a couple, mostly opening up.

Elliot McKenzie made mistakes and he has paid for then, now he is the CEO of a company who gives second chances for everyone who is willing. Not everyone believes he is genuinely a good guy now, but for him - HIS truth is what's important. He wishes his family, his sister mostly, would look at him and see who he has become but mostly he is quite content with life. Yet when strange occurrences - some bizarre others life threatening are circling around him his right hand - Serena - brings Lennox, a family member for help, she has NO IDEA what's this meeting will bring to everyone's lives, mostly Elliot and Lennox.



Lennox West is currently working as a security expert, which is what he is offering Elliot. While he needs Elliot to open up to him and admit what's going on in his life, he doesn't do the same. He stays closed off, trying to deal with his recurring nightmares through therapy even if his sessions aren't going that great.. See, he needs to open up to HER as well and that isn't working either. At least that's what we see in the little glimpses we get in each chapter in his POV. It's strange. I didn't really get WHY we needed these details. They weren't really progressive, on the contrary.. they only made us realize why the book is named the way it does.. on chapters with Elliot's POV we also get a different glimpse into Elliot's business from the eyes of a reporter who hates him.. So everything there makes you second guess either her or Elliot. It was quite annoying.. I think with both of them, it would have been better if the whole concept was skipped. Having their own POVs is enough (even if it means we wouldn't even know about the ghosts in Lennox's past..).

Lennox and Elliot hit it off from the start, but after a night together Elliot isn't sure if he has anything more to offer so he basically gets rid of him the morning after, yet when his life is in danger he turns to the one person he believes will protect him no questions asked and he is right. Lennox is ON the job and it's obvious as time goes by, it's more about friendship and getting closer than the job itself.

We get a bit of "family drama" from Elliot and his sister and a lot more about Lennox's with him being the ex-brother in law of Serena and the close relationship he has with his ex-wife and their mutual daughter Lee. It was nice getting Lee in the mix, it made Lennox more genuine for me since we know so little about him. Yet we are left with too many questions concerning his ex and their marriage.

All in all I think that's the theme - we know TOO LITTLE, and the little which IS revealed wasn't enough for me. I needed this book to be more developed and I guess it would have made it more engaging.. It took me FOREVER to finish this book and yeah it had to do with the mess my life have been for the past two weeks but also it shows me that I couldn't escape my life with this book because I wasn't invested enough with Elliot and Lennox to take a break from what's going on with ME to focus on THEM.

This book is currently unavailable as an ebook. It was published by Riptide so I guess it means the rights are on their way or already are in Cari's hands? so maybe this book will get re-published in the future.. I'm linking to Amazon's hard copy and audiobook, the only available options at the moment.

Rating:
★½
E-Book
Edition
247
pages
Read on:
11-20 November 2018
  

No comments:

Post a Comment