Monday, December 14, 2015

Hot Pursuit (Sugarland Blue #2) [Taylor & Cara] by Jo Davis

This one was WAY better than the first installment! I was hooked from the start. I like both MC, they were interesting and I was really curious to how things will play out and all the mysterious details of Cara and Taylor's past. I do wish we got more about Taylor's past, there was a bit mentioned there but not enough to my liking. 

Taylor witnessed a horrible scene in which Cara's sister was murdered 4 years ago. But somehow Cara figured it all wrong as though Taylor is the one to blame to what happened that day. Wanting revenge she moves to Sugarland to look for him and make him pay! Yet as she keeps spying on him she is surprised nothing he does fits the profile of the man she thought was responsible for her losing her sister. When he hits on her in the club her band plays at she accepts reluctantly not knowing what to do with him or with the fact she finds him VERY attractive.. 

I liked getting the story from both their POVs, also the fact that Taylor wasn't oblivious to how she was playing "hot- cold" with him while not knowing how to deal with Taylor being such a great guy who couldn't possibly match the person she thought he'd be. Yet it took about half of the book for the truths to come out and then a little bit more till the non-stop action with the villain stepping up his game.. I like how much action Jo brings into her books, totally keeps you on edge! 

There's a sweet side story of Blake, a person both Cara and Taylor care for. He was thrown out of his house when his family discovered he is gay and so both Cara and Taylor try their best to help him sort himself out. I didn't like the fact everyone kept telling him all the men around him were straight when he said he was attracted to them. Can't a person enjoy the view? Also I wish there was someone there for him, even if a start of a relationship though he does have a happy ending of his own. 

It's hard for me to say exactly why this one wasn't a solid 5 star rating. There were times I felt the story was dragging a bit and the romance was a bit OTT. They fell for each other too fast somehow.. though I could see that both of them needed each other and came at the right time. I wish there was more to Cara and Taylor's relationship than sex.. I mean, it's great that the physical part works for them, but at times it felt it's all they truly had (which made it hard for me to accept the growing feelings). 

I somehow feel as though I liked the previous series better though it's hard for me to truly recall how it was (read it round 5 or 6 months ago..) and I felt different for each of them, so.. I don't know. It was a good read. Both MC were strong and capable which I really liked and the action in the end was GREAT


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 320 pages, 12-14 December 2015 / On GoodReads
 

 

ABOUT THIS SERIES

"Sugarland Blue" is a sister / spin off series to "Firefighters of Station 5" by Jo Davis also containing a total of 5 full novels. While the previous series focused around Firefighters, this one focuses on Cops. Some of the cops mentioned in "Firefighters of Station 5" has a book of their own in this series - Like Shane (1st installment) being Shea's brother - the MC in "Line of Fire" and Tonio (2nd installment) being Julian's brother - the MC in "Hidden Fire"

I read only 3 books in this one, not going to continue reading the 2 final ones ("On the Run" and "Bring The Heat"). I felt it wasn't as good as the original series, both in romance and action. Also in the first 3 books (the ones I've read) there was a lot of emphasis on family (all having some sort of kid/young guy needing parenting) for me it ruined some of the romance build up and also felt unrealistic (especially in the 1st and 3rd installments..)

Books
0.5. Armed and Dangerous [Detective Shane Ford & Officer Daisy Callahan] (Published 2 April 2013) ★★★★
1. Sworn to Protect [Detective Shane Ford & Officer Daisy Callahan] (Published 7 May 2013) ★ (DNF 56%)
2. Hot Pursuit [Taylor Kayne & Cara Evans] (Published 3 December 2013) ★★★★
3. In His Sights [Chris Ford & Dr. Robyn Lassiter] (Published 2 September 2014) ★★★
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment