Monday, June 30, 2014

Dirty Deeds (Dirty Deeds #1) by SE Jakes

Well, hello there! :) I was gone for a long while now, mostly because I haven't been reading of late.. I've been tired, my eyes were tired, dunno, the hot weather doesn't agree with me as it seems.. Hope to be back to myself because these past few months have been too much out of my comfort and relaxed zone. I miss me, ya know?

So let's do this review, shall we?

This is the spin off to "Hell or High Water" telling us of Cillian and Mal and how they "got together" so to speak. It's been a while since I read the previous book by SE Jakes and I gotta say I don't really remember what was the issue with John (the one who betrayed Prophet) it was too bad that there wasn't a good reminder to that or something to connect people who either haven't read the previous books or doesn't remember (enough). 

I didn't find myself invested in the story for the most part since I didn't understand, well, too much! I couldn't remember what John's deal was, I didn't understand why Cillian is interested in him (and we don't get that explanation), I didn't get what's going on around Cillian (until it was explained and that was pretty far ahead), I didn't understand what's Mal's real part (until it was explained, again, pretty far ahead) and well, their sessions together, I kept waiting for the shoe to drop - for Cillian to get who Mal was but it ended too abruptly leaving us waiting for the next installment. 

So basically the first 10 chapters where quite a bore (mostly because I didn't understand who's against who and why) and then a lot of action, things moving, explanations and all then - BAMM! - quite the reveal then - THE END.

I'm not even sure how I feel about all of this. I don't know if I'll read the next one though I'm curious to how things will go with the two of them and the information that was revealed nearing the end. Yet, I didn't feel a connection to either one of them. 
 
 



Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 79 pages, 21-30 June 2014 / On GoodReads
 
 

ABOUT THIS SERIES

Hell or High Water is a 4 book MM Romance series by SE JAKES telling us the romance between Elijah "Prophet" Drews (a former navy SEAL) and Tom Boudreaux (former FBI). As a new member of "EE" (Extreme Escapes Ltd. - A private contracting firm), Tom is partnered with Prophet who isn't into having a partner. From there you can guess what happens :) 

Each book has it's own story line / missions but there is a wider arc of story for all books. In the first book we learn more about Prophet (the case involve someone from his past) and the second gives us the background on Tom (taking place in where Tom grew up). The third build to the last novel and final confrontation of the wider story line. With the in-between novella mostly being about releasing sexual tension (which they do A LOT in this series which personally I'm less of a fan..). The fourth and last installment FINALLY deals with the big villain - Prophet's former best friend and SEAL team member John Morse ending this series with a bitter sweet note of everything that was lost, but enough that is still left to mend and heal. I can see Prophet and Tom living a long and happy life together. 

I like the series but don't LOVE it. I have a few issues with it. Firstly, you better remember all the small details and who's who and what's their agenda when you go through the series because there is hardly any explanation to things that happened in the previous books or in the past and were re-visited. Second issue is I feel this series has too many similarities in MC to the Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux. Prophet is too much of a Ty and Tom is too much of a Zane. I do feel like these two series ARE independent and there is a "place" for both of them and yet I have my misgivings sometimes. My third issue I mentioned above - there is WAY too much sex. While there's a good reason - them using sex to communicate emotionally - it was TOO DAMN MUCH for me. 

Free Falling (published 5 September 2012) ★★★★★
This is a standalone short novella telling us of Mitch and Blue, two EE Ltd. operatives. Their story line takes place before Hell or High Water. The both of them have their appearances in some of the next books but they bare no significant to the main story lines. 

Dirty Deeds (published 13 January 2014) ★★★
This is an intended as a spinoff. Currently it's only a short novella of Mal, former teammate of Prophet in charge of shadowing Cillian - Prophet's neighbor and a spook who Prophet suspects knows more than he's should about their business. This one takes place in the same time line as (and a bit after) the third book of "Hell of High Water". Honestly, did really like this one so I don't think I'll continue with this one whenever the next ones are published.

Books:
1. Catch a Ghost (published 13 September 2013) ★★★★
2. Long Time Gone (published 28 October 2013) ★★★★½
3. Daylight Again (published 5 May 2014) ★★★
3.5. Not Fade Away (published 14 August 2014) ★★★
4. If I Ever (published 21 January 2019) ★★★★ 

No comments:

Post a Comment