Saturday, January 22, 2022

Teddy Spenser Isn't Looking for Love by Kim Fielding

Where to begin? ~sigh~ I didn't like this book. Simply didn't. If it wasn't an audio version I wouldn't have finished it. Teddy Spenser isn't a likeable guy and / or hero material (IMO). I didn't see what Romeo found in him and even if I did, their relationship developed VERY strangely. From a dislike to a "like-like" WAY too fast, as well as the whole progression of the relationship. I understand that spending a few days together 24/7 makes a different impact than regular "dates", and yet, it was still totally and absolutely ridiculous. 

I don't know how old Teddy Spenser is (or Romeo for that matter). But he feels early 20s. He has been working at an innovative company, on the marketing side. He is tasked to work on a special project with Romeo Blue the software guy. Teddy has A LOT of assumptions on the guy. Most of them are either mean or just plain negative. That's with barely speaking to the guy. Granted he has his own office, unlike the others who work in cubicles, yet it seems like no one gives him any credit or tries to figure the guy out. 

The company is in a very sensitive place, unsure if they'll even survive due to lack of funds so when a VERY rich and influential (former?) designer offers to take a look and consider the project, Teddy is HIGHLY motivated. Meeting her is a dream come true, he just didn't think he'll do it with Romeo by his side. 

At first they don't really get along but that's only because Teddy is being unfair towards him. Once he actually LOOKS at him he realizes how much more there is to the guy and the fact EVERYTHING he thought about him was totally and ABSOLUTELY wrong, things start to change. They need to more than just "get along" as said (high handed) designer decides to "test" them for competence. What she made them go through was not only unprofessional (and probably illegal) but also stupid and pretentious. The stupidity of the whole thing didn't end until the very end of the book which made the whole thing even MORE unlikely. 

I can't say there was something I actually enjoyed in this one. I didn't like Teddy (especially his obsession with comparing everything to his ex). HATED the designer, felt the other characters were rather flat and Romeo? Was the only guy worth mentioning but sadly we only got Teddy's POV so what we got from him, considering everything else, was simply not enough. Frankly, he too felt a bit flat and uninteresting (even when he tried to be). This book was simply boring. I just wanted it to end, hoping for something satisfying. I didn't get it. 

I'm sorry for this review and how negative it is. It's just my own personal opinion... If generally speaking we have the same taste in books give my thoughts here more consideration, if not, check out the other reviews on it and make a more informed decision. I've got to say the first (and only) other book I've read by Kim was "The Tin Box" and I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it. It made a HUGE impact on me, and even though I've read it  years ago it stuck with me. This is why I decided to try more books by her. Really bummed this turned out to be a disappointment.. 

Rating:
Audio Book
Edition
7 Hours
53 Minutes
Read on:
21-22 January 2022
  

No comments:

Post a Comment