Monday, August 2, 2021

Divorce Can Be Deadly (Dr Benjamin Bones Mysteries, #2) by Emma Jameson

Can't believe it took me 4 (!) years to get back to Ben and Juliet. Though I can totally understand why.. I enjoyed this one, I really did. It was smart and funny, with a few interesting mysteries (I was FAR from guessing) and yet it somehow didn't grab me as I hoped it would. Maybe it's me being selfish and wanting something MORE between Ben and Juliet (besides longing from her side and maybe confusion from Ben's). The writing is superb! But it was also a bit difficult at times having to deal with not only the British dialect but also it being dated to 1939. 

We've met Dr. Benjamin "Ben" Bones in the first installment coming to live and work in the country is not exactly what he had in mind, by especially during the war, this is where he is needed. Originally he came with his wife Penny, but she was murdered in the first installment making him not just a doctor but an amateur detective. Together with his new found friend Lady Juliet Linton life is far more interesting. Juliet might not behave like a lady (or dress like one..) but she is smart and fun to be around. I think both find something refreshing and challenging (intellectually) in each other's company even when they are not trying to figure out who killed Bobby Archer. 

We've met some of the secondary characters, like Ben's house keeper Mrs. Cobblepot who has a real talent in baking and her brother - the rather annoying - Clarence Gaston (the ARP Warden and special constable). There is naturally Juliet's mother - Lady Victoria, as well as some other minor town people. I'd say that though there are quite a few people who are introduced - especially in Fitchley Park where Bobby was found dead - I felt it was manageable and moreover it allowed me to speculate (and get it all wrong) about who did what and why. There is a HUGE plot going on over in Fitchley Park, it was far more complicated than I thought it would be and there isn't just "one" bad guy. I liked the way things progressed with Ben, Juliet and Gaston each sharing their own ideas which were refuted every single time till the very end. 

There is another issue Juliet has to deal with - her long lost husband Ethan Bolivar is back. She hopes it means she'll be a divorced woman sooner rather than later now that he is here, but things get even more complicated once he shares his real reasons for returning. The whole thing affect the relationship between Juliet and Ben. I wonder if Emma would write another novel of these two and if they'll get one day their own HEA. I know there are two more novellas - they are next on my list - but I don't have much hope with how short they are. 

I feel like this is a rather rambling review with me saying very little about what's actually happening but I don't think I could have it any other way. If you are a fan of Historical novels, British country side and mystery there is NO DOUBT you need to read this one. But even if you aren't I say give it a go. Naturally only AFTER reading the first one or you'll be confused to why Ben and Juliet are so obsessed with ghosts (and a lot more). 

Rating:
E-Book
Edition
376
pages
Read on:
24 July - 1 August 2021
    
>

ABOUT THIS SERIES 

Br Benjamin Bones Mysteries, like it's name suggests is a mystery series, written by Emma Jameson, set in the beginning of WWII in the small Cornish village of Birdswing. 

The series revolve around Dr Benjamin Bones, a rather new doctor, instructed to serve his country by taking care of the population of the community around Birdswing. While he gets there with his wife Penny, who grew up in this same village, she doesn't last long... From there, together with Lady Juliet Linton they start "sleuthing around" to try and figure out what happened. 

While Bones doesn't consider Juliet as a love interest per se, he enjoys her company and their debates as well as their little play at sleuthing but as time goes by things start to slooooooowly change.

I consider the first two (full length novels) simply Mystery / Historical Fiction novels. There is NO romance what-so-over. The series continues with two short novellas (Which Emma also calls "Magic of Cornwall") - There the focus is on the relationship between Ben and Juliet (more drama/romance). I do hope when the 3rd installment arrives, we'll be having not just mystery but more of the romance buiolt into the story as well. 

Though I don't usually read Mystery/Fiction, I've read all the other published works by Emma (some under a different name) and really enjoyed them so had to give these a try and I'm  happy I did. It's such a different setting and vibe. I love it. But I'll admit the language is a bit difficult for me at times, and I was quite frustrated with how long it takes Emma to bring Ben and Juliet together as they sure are meant for one another.  

Books:

1. Marriage Can Be Murder (Published 2 November 2014) ★★★★
2. Divorce Can Be Deadly (Published 16 December 2016) ★★★★
2.5. Dr. Bones and the Christmas Wish (Published 23 December 2016) ★★★★
2.6. Dr. Bones and the Lost Love Letter (Published 17 April 2017) ★★★★
3. Friendship Can Be Fatal (To Be Published ???)

No comments:

Post a Comment