Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Bitter Taffy (Candy Man #2) [Derek & Rico] by Amy Lane

I can't really explain it, but I'm just not "feeling it" with this book. The whole story is told from Rico's POV and I just don't feel any connection to him. It's nice seeing Adam and Finn again (they have a HUGE part in the book) but though I was almost halfway through I had a feeling as though nothing actually happened. 

I've read the first installment "Candy Man" about a year and a half ago. I remember I liked it, but didn't love it. Granted it was a bit short which I think had a big part as to why it wasn't "enough" for me, but with this one, we DO get a whole story and yet it's too slow on the move. There is too much emphasis on mundane living and the part of Rico and Derek getting to know one another had too much "background noise" from SOMEONE else. When they FINALLY were on their own, I lost interest (at the 44% mark). 


I'm usually a huge fan of Amy's work, but this one, sadly, didn't work for me. it's suppose to be a sweet nice romance novel. It has very little "angst" mostly concerning both Rico and Adam's past. Also I didn't really "get" Derek, he was really interested in Rico, had a lot of personal questions which felt a bit immature to how much they knew each other. Maybe if we got his POV I would have been more comfortable with WHY he was behaving the way he is. 

I wish it was more, but it wasn't. I"m giving it 3 stars rating because it wasn't "bad" I just didn't connect with the story or our sole POV. 

Note: I decided not to continue with this series, I even tried the first chapter in the next one and thinking about it together with my reviews of this one and the previous one made me realize something about the "vibe" or the pace of these ones doesn't work for me. I've read MANY MANY books by Amy I ABSOLUTELY love, so I don't feel that bad about putting this short series aside and continuing on reading other books by her (and I have many more next year).  

(DNF 44%)

Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 314 pages, 25-27 December 2016 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment