Friday, October 11, 2019

In Kelly's Corner (Fighting Connollys #1) [Kelly & Bee] by Roxie Rivera

This book simply wasn't for me. I actually did like how it started and the dynamics between our two main characters as well as the dual POVs. What I DISLIKED right from the start is - this is NOT in fact the first book in series, try something like the 6th. The name dropping in this one was HORRENDOUS. I'm not sure I'll exaggerate close to 30 names I have NO idea who they are (besides 90% of them having Russian names). That's when I realized this is a "spin off" (a very BADLY done, it's NOT separate AT ALL) to Roxie's "Her Russian Protector" series and I can tell you now I'm NOT going to read it. This book made me think of how frustrated I was with J.R.R Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.. but while his books where frustrating they weren't as predictable and cliche as this one.

I'm mad and it shows through my writing. I'm sorry. This is actually not a bad book AT ALL. I'm just frustrated there are TONS of details, characters and prior interactions I don't know / understand. Truth being said, even in series I read and enjoy I'm not always good with SO many details, characters and connections. For a series like this I would need to start at the REAL first book and read them one after the other or I'll be - as I am now - totally lost. I KNOW many people adore a universe like this one where they feel they know everybody like their best friends but I'm genuinely HORRIBLE at these things.. Which is why I was SO frustrated.

While I enjoyed the interaction between Kelly Connolly and Beatrice "Bee" Langston, even with them the cheesiness was a bit OTT. I feel like I could predict their even move. Kelly being the tough guy, fighting (figuratively and physically) to protect his family. Honor above all. A true brute with no prior education (except for being a capable Marine). Bee being the sweet naive (virgin) genius, making BILLIONS before she even turned 23.



When Bee finds she has a stalker she runs to Kelly, her brother's best friend who also works for a security company (very OTT, all operatives ex military / special forces or/and of Russian heritage - a theme in this one for sure). Naturally she actually has TWO stalkers and naturally right at the time Kelly's family is dealing with TWO mob families whom his father own a HUGE sum of money due to gambling. The plot naturally thickens with secrets, lies and more blackmail and truthfully after 50% I was OVER IT.

Generally speaking I liked the idea of this one, it was well written but it was extremely cliche in every aspect and WAY too over the top for my liking. Goodbye Connollys seems like we won't be seeing each other in the future.. That being said that's MY opinion, yours might be totally different and just so you'll know, this book is offered for free through all platforms so if you want to give it a try...

Rating:

DNF 50%
E-Book
Edition
277
pages
Read on:
10-11 October 2019
     

No comments:

Post a Comment