Saturday, October 6, 2018

Timing (Timing #1) [Stefan & Rand] by Mary Calmes

I guess I have rather high expectations where Mary is concerned as I've read and enjoyed most of her books, so I'm really sad this book didn't work out for me. Our MC and sole POV Stefan Joss was BEYOND perfect in a way which felt totally unbelievable so while I was trying to accept that's the way he is, came his romantic partner in this book and I was just not feeling it. I didn't like Rand Holloway or care for him in any way. He ran too hot and too cold.

Stefan Joss came to Texas to attend his best friend's wedding Charlotte Holloway. He is thrilled to see her and her soon to be husband but less happy to see her brother - Rand - who have always been mean and degrading towards him (and her at times..). Yet he is the bride's older brother, naturally he attends her wedding.. Stefan and Rand would just have to find a way to get along even if they hadn't in the past.. especially with Rand asking for a truce. Yet ever since asking that he has been coming on to Stefan. I guess it wasn't obvious for him at first but for me it felt like it and it totally felt off and wrong, especially how bossy he was towards Stefan. It might be his character but it didn't fit Stefan or the situation between them.



There's a lot more to this book than just that, there are a lot of festivities, people we get to know, an issue Stefan needs to solve for work. For me it was too tiring. I didn't like how perfect Stefan was - beautiful beyond belief, gets along with everyone, and everyone does his bidding because of that. The woman fall at his feet, the men, all of them, accept him though he is gay (even if he was worried about coming to this small town in Texas and being out and proud). I couldn't connect with Stefan because he felt totally and absolutely FAKE. Rand on the other hand was a bossy, high handed, Alpha man - exactly the kind I can't stand..

So sadly, this is a DNF for me. I got to the 29% mark before I decided I had enough - of this book and this series (which contains another book of Stefan and Rand with a third installment of a different couple). Sorry about that..

Rating:

DNF (29%)
E-Book
Edition
232
pages
Read on:
6 October 2018
     

No comments:

Post a Comment