Friday, October 19, 2018

Innocence by Suki Fleet

It's hard for me to actually write it but it's my truth so I gotta - I didn't like this book AT ALL. It was all over the place with Christopher running around in circles, in his head but also in real life. It FELT like the YA I stay clear of and frankly I don't get what a 29 years old guy would find in someone 10 years younger. Their whole relationship was BEYOND strange. Not to mention with the book finished I still don't think I know anything about Malachi besides he's a mechanic who loves to play and sing music (there's also a dark secret, but it's a spoiler-free-zone here so I'll let you figure it out..).

This is Christopher Grey's story for sure. We follow him around as he tries to find a place in this world he can call his own. He have been living with his dad and younger brother on a boat all of his life. When he was 5 years old, the 3 years old Jay got burned by accident which consequent in their mother leaving for good. Doesn't sound like the exemplary mother, does she? and their father isn't that much better even if he have been taking care of them since then. it's not black and white I guess.. he is who he is, and he's doing what he thinks is the right thing even if his reasoning aren't the best.  Jay is the focus of Christopher's life, he would do right around anything for him, he is his number one priority even if the one thing he craves - finding their mother - is not something Christopher is mad about. He doesn't feel there's a point and also where to start?



When the Grey family decides to stay for a while in the small town of Arlow it's time for Christopher to earn his keep, his father finds him one with a bunch of "gypsies" from a nearby camp. When Christopher goes there for the first time he is struck by the beautiful Malachi. He sees something in him that almost looks familiar and he can't ignore the attraction. Yet Malachi doesn't seem interested.. There's someone else who is, but Christopher isn't sure about it at all. I personally HATED it. I guess it was "there" to make Christopher grow up a bit, but it was totally and absolutely unnecessary.

As Christopher tires to find friends, capture the eye of his love interest, find an income - caring for his brother becomes more difficult as Jay feels left out. They were basically your typical teenagers fighting over stupid things even if for them it was more of a "life and death" since they literally have NO ONE else besides one another. They were sweet together when they weren't SO annoying I wanted to punch them.. Jay wouldn't talk but complain Christopher runs from him and the other way around. It doesn't work that well in the end, at least that's how I see it.

While Christoper feels connected to Malachi and can't explain it, Malachi actually can because he seems to know more about Christopher than he should have. Have they met before? How does he know his mother? Yet Malachi keeps his secrets close to his heart and when he finally spits it all out Christopher explodes. It was the exact thing I expected from him. Not mature enough to actually DEAL, only to run away and hide. Even when he has a chance to have closure if he does or doesn't we actually don't know because the book ends somewhat ubruptly with a very strange ending which gave us literally NOTHING to understand anything but Malachi and Christoper are apparently happy together. What about everything and everyone else? Too much was left unsaid. Too many things unresolved.

Nope. It wasn't for me, though I've LOVED everything else I've read by Suki (and I'll continue on reading her books FOR SURE). I think this book was somehow "half cooked". There were too many holes in the story, not enough of a relationship buildup and their connection felt somewhat ILL considering their past. It didn't work for me AT ALL.

Rating:
E-Book
Edition
230
pages
Read on:
17-19 October 2018
  

No comments:

Post a Comment