Thursday, September 29, 2016

Rented Heart (Rented Heart, #1) [Zac & Liam] by Garrett Leigh

I liked this book but can't say I loved it. I enjoyed the writing as I always do with Garrett's books but the total vibe of the book was too, mmm, well, sad? depressing? Also though I could feel the connection between the two characters I think they connected too quickly and too much on the basis of "acceptance" and "loneliness" and less because it was Liam and Zac if it makes any sense.. 

Liam recently lost his husband whom he loved dearly. He left him the business they founded together but doing his ex's work doesn't fill him with accomplishment it just leaves him sad and lonely. Meeting by chance Zac - the rent boy - brings him a night he is not as lonely as he was before. 


Zac have been a rent boy for years now, it's the only thing he knows how to do and so he does it to survive. His best friend and roommate Jamie on the other hand is in an even worse situation - he is also addicted to drugs. Well, so was Zac but he is clean now and he tends on staying this way even if Jamie doesn't make it any easier. Yet they always took care of one another. It won't change now, will it? Zac and Jamie's connection was sweet yet so tragic at the same time.. 

Zac and Liam are an unlikely couple. It's the sort of "Pretty Woman" kind of a story. The rich falls for the hooker. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the whole genre. It was sweet to see how NONE judgmental Liam was, though he did jump to conclusions later on in the story right when he (maybe) shouldn't have... But generally speaking he connected with Zac and that was that, he didn't care about his occupation or his past. For Zac everything about Liam wasn't what he was expecting, especially how he SAW him, the real him and was doing his best to be his friend, to care for him, something no one (besides Jamie) ever did..

For me their connection was too fast forming and the sad vibe of the story made me feel gloomy. I wish there was a little bit MORE to this book. I've read reviews saying it's very low on the angst considering it's Garrett.. So maybe if it was more about the angst and less depressing? I"m not sure.. 

It was a bitter sweet kind of a story. I do recommend it, though I prefer Garrett's other books which truly touched my heart. 



Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 190 pages, 27-28 September 2016 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment