My Menu

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

May 2016 Recap

A lot happened this month book-wise. I totally fell in love with a new (to me) series, got to know a new author with two heart breaking books, enjoyed a few more stand alone novels and had a few misgivings about books I expected more from (May Goals). 



Total Read - 16 ebooks (+ 2 DNF) / 2944 pages (~95 pages a day)

I feel like a cheat with 16 (!) ebooks, especially since a couple of them were short novellas ;) Which is why I also always add pages count...



★  ★  ★  ★  ★ - Cheers and Shouts for the Favorites -  ★  ★  ★  ★  ★ 
I started this month with "A Matter of Time" series by Mary Calmes. I've read only one book by her before this one and because it was good in a different sort of a way I really wanted to give this series a go, it came with a LOT of recommendations and I totally get why that is. 
The series is told from Jory's POV and he is simply a JOY to read. He is reckless, funny, brave, strange, caring and loving and he gets into a LOT of trouble :D The story centers on him and Sam getting their HEA. It's takes a while but the ride is SO worth it. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Contemporary MM Romance series.

Amy Lane is (almost) always a great read. "Bewitched by Bella's Brother", a short Contemporary MM Romance novel, was another great read by her. I loved the relationship buildup not only of the MC but other characters as well (like Bella and her brother or Sebastian and Bella). It was sweet ant beautiful and though it was short I felt I got a whole story. 


"Tell Me When" and "Let Me Know" are two heart breakingly beautiful New Adult novels by Stina Lindenblatt (a the moment the only two books in the "Lost in You" series). Though it feels wrong to write I enjoyed them (being so angsty and crushing) I can say that the ride was SO worth it. Both the MC have went through hell and yet they are still here and though they might not see themselves as strong I was at awe seeing how they handled everything life threw at them and not only that, how inspiring they were to the people around them (me included). It's VERY angsty, so you have to be a fan of that in order to enjoyed it as much as I did.  


I've read a few of Aleksandr Voinov & L.A. Witt collaborations and enjoyed all of them. I should try more by L.A. Witt on her own, but I'm a bit intimidated by the amount of novels she published hehe. I'll get around to trying out more though :) "Broken Blades" is a Historical MM Romance taking place in WWII. I'm not sure what to say about it in a few sentences, it was hard enough to write my review. In one word - PERFECTION. A heart breakingly beautiful and yet cruel and cold love story. What can you expect in a war zone in which one man is the commander and the other a prisoner of war in his camp, in a place and time hope and humanity was lost. Yet it was so damn beautiful and at times even sweet. A MUST READ.  


▲  ▲ On the Fence ▼  ▼
I'm a HUGE fan of Amy Lane's books as evidenced by how many of her books I've read the past year. I'm actually going through all of her book list (minus the ones that are not available anymore..) so I didn't expect to be on the fence about "Behind the Curtain" especially because I had good vibes about it. This New Adult MM Romance novel was somehow too angsty and sappy for me which is ironic considering I enjoyed so much another two novels in the genre this month. I think I needed more than the one POV we got. Dawson wasn't enough for me to hold the story together, I needed to know what Jared was going through from HIS point of view. The story is very different not only from what I expected but also by the whole idea behind it. I say give it a go if you're into these kind of books. You might enjoy it!


★ DNF ★ - Cries and Sniffs for the Disappointments - ★ DNF ★
I haven't actually mentioned I planned on re-reading or rather listening to "The Darkest Touch" in my monthly goals, it's just I wasn't sure what to do about it.. I REALLY enjoyed the other book in "Lords of the Underworld" series by Gena Showalter by this one was more than I could bear! it was childish beyond words, didn't fit Torin from the previous novels and so months ago when I tried reading it I just put it down after 8%!! I decided to give it another go in the audio version (since the next one in the series was soon to be released) and sadly it didn't captivate me as well (DNFed at 55%). I was bored out of my mind and SO DAMNED ANNOYED. This USED to be such a great series and now I have to put it aside because there is NO WAY I'm continuing with it.. NOPE!

I feel bad mentioning "A Solid Core of Alpha" by Amy Lane in this part. Thing is, it's totally ME, not the book. The book has an AMAZING idea, and a very different kind of support characters which are holograms created by a kid (!) to be his friends when he was left all alone in a small spaceship. Sadly this book was not for me because it's Science Fiction (MM Romance). I'm simply NOT a fan. I get bored out of my mind over the technology, space the whole engineering of everything. HIGHLY recommended to anyone who is INTO this genre, you will get one HELL of a ride. For me, it was a DNF at 58%.. 


 ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥

All in all I had a good month book-wise, I mean, yeah, I had a few disappointments but two out of the three were "my fault", it's just my personal preferance not more and the one I was THE disappointed from was one I knew I'll by struggling with, I just hoped I would be able to finish it this time.. oops.. I wasn't ;) 
I added A LOT of books by Mary Calmes to my list (to be read next year naturally), and will be looking at more books by Stina Lindenblatt as well. Amy and Aleksandr are both absolute favorite authors, I'll be finishing most of their work this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus