Friday, July 31, 2015

Incursion by Aleksandr Voinov

Another excellent short novella. I gotta say, I was a bit worried about the fact this is Sci-Fi which I usually don't like or more accurately I usually don't GET. I"m not even sure why by all these cyber talk never made sense to me. Shape shifters, vampires, witches - no problem. Makes a whole lot of sense hehe 

Like the previous one, what drew me into this story wasn't the surrounding it was the tenderness of the characters and how the connection between them was building. The conclusion was beautiful, so so beautiful. I couldn't have asked for a better ending. Since I don't usually read Sci-Fi my imagination to who this one will end was somehow limited so I can't say I saw that one coming. 


Kyle lost his legs a few month ago, being shot by a Glyrinny (shapeshifting speces) weapon that shot down the neurological signals to his legs. He has prostheses, yet he can't be the agent he was before. Truthfully he is no one now. He has nothing to offer and nothing to look forward to. So when he is offered to spy on a Glyrinny, capture him and bring him back, earning enough money to pay for cyber-legs he accepts. 

His best lead is the mercenary space ship "Scorpion". He comes on board and right from the start is intrigued by the captain - Grimm. He is more than intrigued, he is somewhat attracted, though his body haven't been responsive since he was shot. Yet what he finds with Grimm surprises him, even if it doesn't surprise Grimm who pushed Kyle to stop thinking about his past and start seeing the present and hope for the future. 

Beautiful read. Even if you are not a Sci-Fi fan (like me). Though you do have to read through all the space jargon.


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 78 pages, 30-31 July 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment