Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Nick & Spencer (Market Garden #3, #4) by L.A. Witt & Aleksandr Voinov

I'm jumping into the next bundle in the Market Garden series, this one is of Nick & Spencer contains two novels: If It Flies (Market Garden, #3) and If It Fornicates (Market Garden, #4). These two, like with the other bundle can be bought separately as well as in this bundle. 

I had my worries about this one, I"m not so much into BDSM, though I've read some great novels in the genre, I always feel like "threading carefully", not knowing what my reaction to it would be and how much the way the BDSM is portrayed will influence my overall feel of the book will be. Yet I can say I generally enjoyed this novel. I think I enjoyed the second one, from Nick's POV better in a way, but maybe I feel this way because in the first one we only got Spencer's POV and I REALLY wanted to understand Nick better, he was so reserved it was hard getting ANYTHING out of him, then the second one gave us his sole POV and it was beautiful to read and understand him better. 

If It Flies (Market Garden, #3) ★ ★ ★ ★
I should start by saying it's really hard for me to rate this novella. While I liked it and it was well written and engaging, I always have some sort of hard time reading BDSM. It's just that I don't really "get it". I try, but mostly there is some part that doesn't "click" for me. It's just impossible for me to get inside the head of someone like Spencer, a masochistic submissive, and since we only get his POV I couldn't really understand the connection he made to Nick and especially what exactly it was Nick, his "rentboy Dom" was so attracted to in Spencer (besides the obvious since Nick is a Sadist).

Yet even with the above paragraph, it was a very interesting insight into a world that though is difficult for me to comprehend it's still somehow intriguing. I truly wanted to understand what Spencer needed, in general and specifically from Nick, I really wanted to know what Nick saw in Spencer (which I really hope I'll get in the second installment) and all in all there was something very sweet in the way it played in the end. 

Spencer goes to "Market Garden" with a friend, he needs a time off, to relax.. Yet he doesn't really know what to expect or what he would find there. Coming there, the first man he sees - Nick - intrigued him, and what do you know? Nick just saunters over to him and offers him to invite him for a drink. From there they establish a Dom-sub sorta relationship, it's not a relationship since naturally Nick is a rentboy.. Nick calls it "training" for Spencer, yet as the training continue on quite successfully (from Spencer's eyes) something changes for Nick which puts everything they accomplish in a risk of crumbling to the ground. 

If It Fornicates (Market Garden, #4) ★ ★ ★ ★
As I wrote above, I enjoyed this installment better than the first one, though I"m not sure if it's because it was better or because I was so curious to hear Nick's POV. After hearing Spencer in the previous one, I didn't feel as though I NEED his POV here because basically Spencer is an open book for Nick so we can understand him through him, yet Nick is IMPOSSIBLE to understand without getting his inner thoughts. Beside the mysteriousness factor I found it very interesting getting the Dom's perspective. I think part of the reason I struggle with BDSM is I REALLY don't get the sub. Maybe because I'm a "dominant" person in general who find it hard to obey ANY given order no matter from what authority figure I can really connect to someone who sees life so differently from me. So when I get the dominant POV somehow it makes more sense to me? I don't know, this is too philosophical for me at the moment.. 

Though there is little we find out about Nick's life beside's his job as a rentboy we still get HIM, the real him through the difficulties he is having. Now that he and Spencer decide to have a relationship he is having, well, lets call them "performance issues" ;) He isn't "burned out" per se, he just isn't into his work, he keeps comparing everyone to Spencer (which they all fail miserably..) and he keeps wanting to be with him. 

Both Spencer and Nick are extremely happy together but both are miserable at work so they both struggle with how to continue. Something has to give but both don't want it to be each other. Yet they can't both quit their jobs, bills needs to be paid.. They have to think of something, together. 

For me it was quite obvious how they are going to fix their problems. Maybe because that's what I think I would do, or it's just the most logical resolve anyhow? I didn't expect this one to be supper original, I basically enjoyed the "ride" and the buildup of the relationship, the emotions. Really enjoyed seeing Nick's struggles with how he feels and how much he is willing to give Spencer if he just asks. Yet the reason I"m giving this one 4 stars rating instead of 5 is because there was something redundant about Nick's thoughts. I"m not sure why but he kept repeating his thoughts in different settings and I thought it was unnecessary after a while. 

In this installment we actually met the MC from the 7th installment for a brief scene. Well, at least it sounds like them (after just reading the synopsis) and we also met Frank - the owner of Market Garden who is also the MC in the 5th installment (next on the list!).

All in all a really nice read.


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 249 pages, 18-20 April 2015 / On GoodReads
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Market Garden is an Erotica MM Romance series by L.A. Witt and Aleksandr Voinov

Welcome to Market Garden, a London club that caters to the better-off. Businessmen and bankers come here to relax and indulge in their every whim and fantasy, and Market Garden offers it all in top-shelf quality: threesomes, voyeuristic pleasures, domination, ropes and camo and leather. Men of every stripe, colour, and nationality deliver these high-end services—everyone has their reasons to sell sex. 
And it’s the hottest sex in town.

And sometimes, it’s even served with a side of true love.

While I didn't know what to expect when I started the first installment in the series, now I can definitely say it's an absolute favorite! I liked some better than other, mostly "Capture & Surrender" but also "Tristan and Jared" story. 

Each couple has their own stand alone novel / bundle and while all the installments are rather short they do bring us a full story with a sweet "Happy for now" feeling at the end. 

As long as you stick to one couple there isn't much importance to the order in which you read these. I think it's better to pick a couple and read their installments together and not read the whole series by the order it was written (mostly because Tristan & Jared's ending is in the 6th installment though their previous installments are the first and second in the series). That being said, the 7th installment should be read after reading Nick & Spencer's story as well as Frank & Brandon's (meaning installment #3-#5) since they both appear as formed couples in that final installment. 

If you're looked these ones up and discovered pretty pretty covers it's because they are all re-published by Aleksandr Voinov. They're the same though. Still recommended :)

Books:
1,2,6.  Tristan & Jared: Quid Pro Quo, Take It Off & Payoff  (Published 5 January 2013, 23 February 2013, 1 February 2014, Bundle 6 October 2014)  ★★★★★
3,4. Nick & Spencer: If If Flies & If It Fornicates (Published 9 March 2013, 8 June 2013, Bundle 9 October 2014) ★★★★
5. Capture & Surrender [Frank & Brandon] (Published 17 August 2013) ★★★★★
7. If It Drives [James & Cal] (Published 29 March 2014) ★★★
8. On the Clock [Blake & Jason] (Published 13 July 2015) ★★★★★
 

No comments:

Post a Comment