Thursday, March 19, 2015

Do Svidaniya, Good-bye by Cecilia Ryan

I find it hard to rate this short novella. On the one hand it was amazing, the best character development I've ever read in such a short one. It had a beautiful sweet and innocent feel in the beginning when first the two MC - Nathaniel and Konstantin meet, yet it became mature and sexy as they grow up yet I really didn't like the way it ended.. 

This novella start with Nate and Kostya meet for the first time at the age of 6 (!) when their parents (related by marriage) come from Russia to visit their family in England. They become fast friends and keep their friendship and develop it more each summer Kostya spends with Nate's family. While I'm not usually into reading of kids, there was something so sweet and innocent about those two, the way they acted toward one another. As they grow up their connection deepens and the sexual attraction starts to form. Again, it started so innocent, it was impossible not to love them both ant root for them.  

The plot continue when they go to college together, then each getting married and yet the connection, the LOVE, that isn't expressed in words is always there. I have to say that though it's an Historical Romance novel it's could almost happen anytime and anywhere, well, almost.. they are a bit TOO innocent to our times. I really liked that. It gave their romance a special feel to it. An eternal one in a way. 

The ending was really sweet but VERY open-ended which is why I'm not sure how to rate it. On the one hand it's amazing that a 50+ page story can tell you a real romance that took place for at least 20 years (!) and yet I felt like the ending was only a beginning which I didn't appreciate so much..  

I enjoyed the writing and the total feel this one had. Nate's (sole) POV gave us enough to understand the special connection between them, the love - platonic at first slowly turning sexual and romantic. 

I see all of Cecilia's novels are quite short, with what she can do in so few pages I'm really intrigued to read more by her (and hope the ending will suit me better ;)). 


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 58 pages, 18 March 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment