Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Darkest Touch (Lords of the Underworld #11) [Torin & Keeley] by Gena Showalter

I wanted to enjoy this one as much as I did the other books in the series. But after struggling like crazy through the first 9% of the book I decided to let it go. I might return to it when the next installment is out, but I'm not sure if I will (continue the series). 


This book was SO bad I have no words to describe it. Torin is thousands of years old? REALLY? I wouldn't give him more that 13 years old and the crazy bitch from hell, AKA Keeley was even worse! since she was a crazy 13 years old. BORING. I couldn't be bothered to read one more page, I swear. I am SO disappointed I don't even know what to say or write. I REALLY enjoyed the previous ones, even the last two people generally liked less. But this one was a joke. A bad joke. Also Torin doesn't even resemble himself (character wise) to who and how he was in the previous books so I'm not sure what happened but it's not what I expected from Gena. 

Naturally I won't write anything about the plot because too little happened in the 9% I've read besides a childish banter between Torin and Keeley and listening to their teenager-y thoughts about one another and life in general...

I see a lot of raving reviews about this one but I think most is by younger crowds or people that haven't read it yet and have been waiting for it to be released. Anyhow it's not worth my time. Not at all. 

I'm not sure which character the next one will be, probably Cameo since she's the only Lord that doesn't have a book yet, but maybe Gena would write about another character, who knows.. I'm really not sure if I'll continue reading since I KNOW it would be a bad idea trying to continue with one missing book in the middle. 

I'm so angry and annoyed right now I feel like throwing staff all over the house. I'll settle on doing the laundry aggressively.. :( 

UPDATE 5-May-2016 (re-read 3-5 May 2016)
I decided to give this one another go, this time in the Audio format. I only got to the middle (55%) before I decided to put it aside. 

I'm not going to say anything about the general plot because I think it's irrelevant to my review.
This is the WORST book I've ever read. I think unlike the previous ones it's suppose to be pure (paranormal) erotica but it fails miserable since it's full of teen aged banter which we have FAR too much of, instead of actual action. They talk and talk and talk and then they think and consider then reconsider all the while the unbelievable inner angst turns into childish tantrums that doesn't even interest. 
THIS is what the buildup of Torin and Keeley's relationship is ALL about. Accusations and death threats mingled with otherworldly lust. 

We had (very!) little of other characters, a bit of Baden (not even interesting) and then Cameo and Lazarus (the same innuendos as Torin and Keeley) which didn't help..

Up until this point our MC were walking through worlds basically doing NOTHING of importance (except bantering and getting to know each other), since "Passover" was just over I feel as though they were walking 40 years in the desert just like the "Hagada" states the Jews went from Egypt to the Holy-land, who cares about that?! bring on the food! 

I'm sorry, this is the end for me. I will NOT finish reading this book and I will NOT be continuing with the series, I see this book as a disrespect for the loyal readers who adored this series as much as I did. A real shame :/   



 (DNF 55%)

Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 496 pages, 24 December 2014 / On GoodReads
 
 
ABOUT THE MC
 
Torin / Disease [BUDAPEST CONTINGENT]
Height: 6'5'' 
Hair: White, shoulder-length
Eyes: Green
Butterfly tattoo: Stomach
Other distinguishing marks: Always wears long black gloves Preferred weapon: As subject is confined to the Budapest fortress he has dubbed “the House of the Damned,” he does not generally use weapons but is believed to have gun and sword training.
Demon culpability: Disease is responsible for at least two known plagues that resulted in thousands of casualties. This demon is also at the root of cancer deaths and all additional pestilence, most recently the dreaded Swine Flu pandemic. Notable background: Subject is unable to touch another living being skin-to-skin without infecting it with disease; subject wears protective clothing at all times and maintains his distance from others to prevent such an occurrence. Subject chooses to hide in the Lords’ fortress rather than accept the public blame he deserves for the illnesses he continues to cause, despite his “attempts” to keep the world “safe.”
Achilles heel: Subject’s battle skills have likely diminished due to his confinement. He could be the weak link of the Lords and vulnerable to capture. A suspected relationship with female Lord Cameo has distracted the subject, and could also be used to Hunters’ advantage.
Objectives: Exploit the subject’s unique vulnerabilities and use this weakest link to take down the rest of the Lords. If we could somehow arrange for subject to touch the other Lords, they would not be killed, but they would never again be able to touch their loved ones without killing them. Such a realization might just cause them to turn themselves in.
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Lords of the Underworld is a Paranormal Romance series by Gena Showalter which follows 12 warriors who carry inside them a demon. The warriors are "good" or rather, they aren't bad, but the demon they carry inside of them does it's best to try and do evil through them. In the past, when the warriors were just given the demons they couldn't control them but now most of them just want to live their lives in the peace they can have.  

In each book one of the warriors finds his HEA. Every woman has a special ability or have some special connection to the world around them. 

There is a global plot continuing as each book progressed. First there are the gods. This series uses both the Greek Gods as well as the Titans but there are more supernatural being out there (like Angels who appear in the spin-off series). Second there are "The Hunters" who try to destroy the warriors, blaming them for the troubles of the world (in their eyes committed through the demons that live inside them).

The world building of this series is amazing. There is a lot to learn about the powers that keeps the world at his balance. As the series progressed we learn more and more about them and the spin off series "Angles of the Dark" gives another angle of what happens in the heavens. 

NOTE - I stopped reading this series in the 11th installment. Up until this book this series was one of my favorites, but since that book was HORRIBLE I decided not to continue on. Later on there was a HUGE issue with the author with a rather strange decision in changing a promised and much anticipated coupling.
 
Books:
0.5 The Darkest Fire [Geryon & Kadence] (published 1 April 2008) ★★★★
1. The Darkest Night [Maddox & Ashlyn] (published 3 May 2008) ★★★★★
2. The Darkest Kiss [Lucien & Anya] (published 1 June 2008) ★★★★★
3. The Darkest Pleasure [Reyes & Danika] (published 1 July 2008) ★★★★★
3.5 The Darkest Prison [Atlas & Nike](published 14 July 2009) ★★★★★
4. The Darkest Whisper [Sabin & Gwen] (published 1 September 2009) ★★★★½
4.5 The Darkest Angel (in Heart of Darkness) [Lysander & Bianca] (published 22 December 2009) ★★★★★
--- The Darkest Facts (published 1 May 2010) ★★★★★
5. The Darkest Passion [Aeron & Olivia] (published 21 May 2010) ★★★★
6. The Darkest Lie [Gideon & Scarlet] (published 2 July 2010) ★★★★★
7. The Darkest Secret [Amun & Haidee] (published 29 March 2011) ★★★★★
8. The Darkest Surrender [Strider & Kaia] (published 27 September 2011) ★★★
9. The Darkest Seduction [Paris & Seinna] (published 28 February 2012) ★★★★★
10. The Darkest Craving [Kane & Josephina] (published 30 July 2013) ★★★★★
11. The Darkest Touch [Torin & Keeley Cael "The Red Queen"] (published 25 November 2014) ½★ (DNF 55%)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment