Friday, August 1, 2014

The Vampire Shrink (Kismet Knight, Ph.D., Vampire Psychologist #1) by Lynda Hilburn

Sadly this is a DNF at 29%. I really hate leaving a book behind, especially since I read good recommendations of it, and especially since the idea of a psychologist and vampires together DOES sound like a good combination.

When I have this kind of a problem with a book, when I can't seem to feel drawn to it and every sentence makes me more drowsy I try to explain to myself what's not working. I can't actually say "the writing" since it says nothing.. But here it's really hard for me to explain even though I've been making myself read this one from the first page up until where I stopped. Thing is, there is nothing really interesting or engaging in nothing that happens to the MC Kismet (who is also the sole narrator). Not when she speaks of her sad past, not when she is being attacked or even as she shows she is aroused / interested by a really yummy sexy someone, I just fail to FEEL anything. I just read 90% of her thoughts and description of her surroundings and maybe 10% of other people - speaking, acting around her. The narration just leaves you, well, bored.

I keep wanting for something to happen to make this book interesting but as I was continuing and saw that even when something DOES happen I'm uninterested I was just, well, I guess this is it for me and this book.. and yet I kept reading, waiting for another unspecific something to make me like it, make me want to continue. 

I do think that after you've read about a third of a book it should at least START to get good, but even if something DID started to happen I wasn't interested enough to keep going. 

I will say it's nice in a way that Kismet is an "anti-hero" she is just this person, this psychologist, a normal woman, even a not very special one or attractive one. Has her difficulties with the world around her, wanting to become better at what she does, thinking of mundane things like increasing the amount of patients she has, moving to a better office.. you know, things you and I might think about and maybe that's it. She is TOO mundane herself. 

This book is part of a series. It's kind of a mess since the author changed a few things about the series. The second book got cancelled and another one was written instead of it, then she written a third one. Anyhow since I won't be reading the rest I guess it's not important anymore.. If you're interested you can find the right order in the series page on GoodReads


  (DNF 29%)



Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 465 pages, 31 July - 1 August 2014 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment