My Menu

Friday, August 1, 2014

July 2014 Recap

Another month is over, less than that pasted from the day I moved to this address. I can't say I'm sorry though I do feel like I have less readers. I'm not sure since I didn't have a counter in my previous blog on BookLikes. But since I still have my reviews on GoodReads I don't mind that for the time being this place isn't as active as want it to be. I guess people would migrate from BookLikes here and from my book reviews on GoodReads. I'm giving it time. I enjoy writing here, enjoy the platform and I DID work a lot to make this place as informative as I can. 

I'm actually quite proud of myself for both the work I did on this blog in a short period of time and especially for reading almost all I had planned for this month on my July Goals
[ It's actually easier now with the Menu bar up above, you can navigate to each Goals / Recap post through the "Monthly Recap / Goals" tab ]

Before I move to my Recap, as usual, I'll list the books that weren't on my July Goals post which are the Audio books I've listened to - 
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1)
One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress #2)
At Grave's End (Night Huntress #3)
The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost is a re-read for me. I'm listening to it for two reasons- First, I LOVED it when I read it about a year and a half ago.. Second is back then I didn't have a blog (and wasn't familiar with GoodReads) and while making my "Series Pages" I realized these ones don't have posts which is simply unacceptable! 
I'll be continuing to listen to this series in August and since these books are quite short (round 9 hours) I think I'll probably finish the re-read in less than a month. 

So let's do this! 


Favorite Author and Book of the Month: Harder (Caroline and West #2) - Robin York
Yes I'm going to do this again, choose both author and book of the month together. I guess I could just say I don't have enough books this month to occupy both slots but actually I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything that Ruthie Knox (AKA Robin York) writes SO DAMN MUCH I would probably do it even if I've read a lot more books this month. 
Ruthie is THE most amazing writer. It doesn't matter if she writes Contemporary Romance under her name or New Adult under Robin York. Anything she writes is just heartbreakingly beautiful, her characters are perfect in the sense that they AREN'T (There were a few places in the book I wanted to stab West and I believe I'm not the only one who was considering that..). I can't recommend enough ALL of her books. BUT considering I'm recommending a book which is the second (and last) in a series, if you haven't read "Deeper"- SHAME ON YOU! :P, but seriously DON'T read this one, you'll miss too much important information on the MC and what they went through in the previous one.


Disappointment of the Month: The Vampire Shrink (Kismet Knight, Ph.D., Vampire Psychologist #1) By Lynda Hilburn
This is a DNF at 29%. There aren't a lot of books I stop reading. Yeah there are some I don't find myself floured of, I did have 2 of these this month but for me, this one was just not interesting enough to keep on reading. It was too much thoughts and descriptions and not enough of substance and plot.



     

Discovery of the Month: The Original Sinners (The Red Years) By Tiffany Reisz
Since I make the rules I can decide to put a whole series in this slot and not a specific book :) and actually this series is a whole story written in 4 parts. Yeah in every book there are specific events that happen but your HEA and true closure comes only at the end of the fourth book. I WAS disappointed to realize that while reading since every book gave me a "short lived" closure not really giving me what I want, leaving me craving the next one but I guess the ending DID give me what I wanted, sort of :) 
This is a really good BDSM S&M series and I'm saying it because I haven't read anything like it. It was, well, a good education I can say and honestly while I COULDN'T understand a lot of it it in the first book, I accepted it on the fourth. 
I had my issues with one of the main characters but I'm not sure if I would EVER be in the majority over it :) so don't worry about that :P 
Great series, recommended even and especially if BDSM isn't your "thing", try it. it's different and it's great not only because of that.


Fun Break of the Month - Marked (Midnight Breed #11.5) by Lara Adrian
The Midnight Breed is one of my absolute favorite Paranormal Romance series. It's been a while since I read the series and I was a bit edgy to have my hands on the 12th of the series which will be out, well, SOON! or to be more accurate 5 days from now (5th August). 
I can't say that this book falls into this category for being funny, but it does fall into this category for giving me another taste of the series before the next full novel as well as remind me a little of the world I might have forgot a little. 
Great book, Mathias Rowan was mostly a character that came and went for a scene or two, nice to get his story. 

Well, that's it for this month's Recap. 
August Goals coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus