Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Curio (Curio Vignettes #1) by Cara McKenna

This one was a total joy to read!!! I loved it!
It's a steamy hot erotica novella and when I say steamy hot I mean - WOW steamy hot! But believe it or not, in about 100 pages you get the fore-play and the sex and actually a story. Well, it's not a lot but what does happen between the two of them and how they connected was an interesting read and the ending left me with such a huge smile!
I would have been pleased just to leave it at that but YAY for me! There's 5 more smallish novellas to this mini-series. 

The whole novella is from Caroly's POV. She is almost 30 years old American living for the past 3 years in Paris and oh, she's a virgin. Finding this fact to be a nuisance somehow preventing her from being "normal" or a "woman" so to speak she turns to Didier a man whore who comes with good recommendations ;) All she has to do is come, relax, get rid of her virginity with probably one of THE most beautiful and sexy man alive. Really, one can't ask for more.. Thinking of how it went for her, I do think we each need a Didier of our own ;)
I, myself considered myself a "late bloomer" (well, not THAT late ;)) so I guess I got her and her thinking on the matter. I did think, like her, that it was just the "right time to be a woman", more a mental readiness than having it connected with someone she was seeing. I guess for a lot of people it kinda comes naturally from the development of a relationship, as they say "one thing led to another" but as it seems for Caroly it was something internal she wanted for herself and not something she wished to have with someone specific. Caroly have her own reasons to being a virgin or for not dating much. I got her reasoning and I loved how Didier, seeing it from his perspective, explained the "logic" he found in her behavior. 

Didier is a man whore. Yeah, but he is "just a guy" (besides being great looking and knowing how to please a woman). I guess his clients mainly saw him as a means to an end.. But Caroly is really interested in him, maybe the fact that she is an American living in Paris made her approach to him different than the "regular" Parisians he is used to. He does "accuse" her somewhere of being American in her perspective of relationships. I guess different cultures see things differently. It's only natural. So I guess that's the reason Caroly sees Didier differently and really tries so connect with him, or maybe it's just more natural for her to get to know him before feeling ready to sleep with him.

It's hard to really know Didier's perspective for most of the novella since we only get Caroly's POV. So we can't know what he means or what he doesn't both in his behavior as in what he chooses to share with her.. and well, we are dependent on Caroly's perspective of all of it. 

The story is a very fluent read. It has a little bitty bit of a "darker side", since we learn a little of Caroly and Didier's past and what brought them to the place they are in today. I thought it added the depth needed for the story to feel more real. It's not a "dark secret" being revealed or something like that, it's more about the both of them getting to know each other and with that some parts that aren't "painted in pink". 

This is the first Novel(la) I've read by Cara McKenna but I also read most of her novels written by her other pan name - Meg Maguire (in which she writes Contemporary Romance). As I've said countless times I started with reading "Strangers on a Train" containing 5 short novellas by 5 different authors and ever since then I've been trying to read more (until i got to all ;)) of the novels published by all five. Meg is a favorite for sure! I've read almost all she published by this name (I have three more planned to be read the following months) and after reading and enjoying this one she wrote as Cara I'll be adding little by little the novels she published in this name.


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 111 pages, 27-28 April 2014 / On GoodReads
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Curio Vignettes was the first (and only, actually) work I've read by Cara McKenna, I did read most of her Contemporary Romance work on her pan name Meg Maguire and was really interested in reading more by her in the Erotica genre. 

This is a series of short novellas telling us the love story between Didier and Caroly. The first novella is a bit longer than the others (~100 pages) while the other ones are shorter (~50 pages). Each novella tells us of how their relationship is going / proceeding which makes it more real than some novels telling us of love at first (or second) sight and then happily ever after too soon to feel reliable. Here it's different, each part takes place at least a week or few weeks from the other making the timing more real. 

I think you could consider this a full novel and not really a series but maybe because each part is set apart from the other and has it's separate story it makes more sense separating it into a series of novellas.  As I've written about "Roman Holiday" by Ruthie Knox, sometimes it's nice having a separate short story when you don't have the time to commit to a long book or series. 

I don't think I ever read a book with this sort of a plot line. Caroly, 30 years old, an American living in France is tired of the fact that she is still a virgin. Speaking to a friend about it she recommend Didier a mouth watering ex model who is also a man-whore - a high class whore. 

Caroly and Didier start their "relationship" exactly in the manner you think, she pays him to free herself of her virginity but both of them are surprised when it becomes more than that, they soon become friends. When Caroly learns the truth of what makes Didier keep his occupation (it's not what you think :P) she is determined to help him free himself of his burden. I really enjoyed the originality in this part and how it was brought and handled throughout the series. I don't want to write more not to spoiler.. 

I do think that we all need a lover like Didier. So in sync with our wants and needs. So patient and aiming to please. I don't think the majority of women can say they had a first (and second and..) time as AWESOME as hers :D A shame really :P

Recommended! :)

Books:
1. Curio (published 28 September 2011) ★★★★★
2. Coercion (published 29 August (2012) ★★★★½
3. Craving (published 26 September 2012) ★★★★★
4. Reversal (published 24 October 2012) ★★★★★
5. Confession (published 21 November 2012) ★★★★★
6. Exposure (published 26 December 2012) ★★★★★

 

No comments:

Post a Comment