Friday, November 1, 2013

After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Sookie Stackhouse #13.5) by Charlaine Harris

This is the last book on the Southern Vampire Series, best known as "Sookie Stackhouse". 
I've read all books in the series, loved the first ones better than the last ones.
In my opinion, when the TV Show True Blood started Harris got alittle lost and started changing the characters in a way that matched the way the characters played in the show but meant that they stopped being true to themselves.. 

The last book was a colossal disappointment to readers (as it was for me) so I wasn't really waiting for this book but I knew I WILL read it nevertheless.. 
So what do we have in this "book" - a few words, sometimes 2-3 sentences per character, and since this series had 13 books a lot of the characters I wasn't even sure who they were or from which book.. So it would have been nice to have some sort of reminder.. 
Only Jason, Sookie, Eric and Bill got about a page of what happened to them next. 
It felt lacking in every sense since it was dry, so dry.. especially after reading the dry details of the other characters. 

I gave this book half a star and even that is WAY too much. 

I didn't buy it, and won't recommend that anyone pay 10$ for this "book" - it's not worth it even if you are a "collector". 
You can read this "book" in about half an hour of boredom. 
I'm not sorry I read this one, I feel sorry I read this series with such enthusiasm and in the end got  the middle finger from the author.

I'll still be a great admirer of Eric Northman. but from a distance. I won't re-read the books, won't really recommend them unless that person knows that this is a "no-end" series since there is no reason to read about half of the books.  
The first 4 books were great! next 3 books good but not as good but from 8 till 13 - just disappointment after disappointment. 

In my eyes the TV Series is a disappointment as well. Sookie isn't who she is in the books, and Eric is sexy as hell! but isn't true to who he is in the books either. I always saw Eric as smart, canning and playful but never being mean for the sake of being mean (I have a lot of other complaints but I'll leave you with just this one..). I miss the way he was in the beginning.. I also feel that everything that happened with Bill was a total waste of time. didn't get it. He's a pathetic businessman that's it..
and what do I think of Sookie? There is no reason for everything that happened in 13 books if all she wants is a boring life with a boring man. and this is what we got - a boring ending and a even more boring ending to the series. 

a DON"T READ unless you really want to disappoint yourself even more from the series. 
I'm not spoilering anything since 1 minute after finishing I forgot almost everything I read. 


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 208 pages, 1 November 2013 / On GoodReads
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
"Sookie Stackhouse" or "The Southern Vampire Mysteries" is an Urban Fantasy series by Charlaine Harris. The Series contain 13 full novels and finished with a novella telling what came next for each character. 

The series tells the story of Sookie Stackhouse a human barmaid who can read minds. A little after "the vampires came out of their coffins" (hardy har har) and become known to the world (as a result of an invention of synthetic blood enabling them not to need HUMAN sustenance) Sookie meets Vampire Bill Compton and is really surprised and delighted to find out she CAN'T hear his thoughts! As it seems she can't read Vampires minds at all!! GREAT! 

From here on, her connection to the vampire world and politics of it only grows and a lot more interesting vampires and other creatures (werewolves, shapeshifters, fairies etc) are also introduced to her (and us) while each book has a certain mystery that she and the ones around her are involved in. This girl doesn't have a dull moment in her life! :D

This started as a great series but sadly, as the series progressed, and as "True Blood" the TV adaptation drew attention from the audience as well as from the author, the book series changed. Mostly the characters changed and started "playing out of character", in a way, more in sync with the characters they were played in the TV show and less as they used to be in the previous books. 

Since I didn't enjoy the last books in the series, I feel strange recommending it, yet, I somehow DO recommend it since I loved loved loved the character of Eric Northman and loved how this series started, up until book 4 FOR SURE it's HIGHLY recommended, from there on, things started to get, well, uncertain and deteriorate until I was just confused with how the characters where behaving and where the author took this series. At the end I just felt I'm not even sure why I read it or what was the point of it all :(

I've read and then listened to this series a while ago so I don't have review of each one of the novels (only the last final closing novella). 

Books:
1. Dead Until Dark (published 1 January 2001)
2. Living Dead in Dallas (published 26 March 2001)
3. Club Dead (published 29 April 2003)
4. Dead to the World (published 3 May 2004)
5. Dead as a Doornail (published 3 May 2005)
6. Definitely Dead (published 2 May 2006)
7. All Together Dead (published 1 January 2007)
8. From Dead to Worst (published 6 May 2008)
9. Dead and Gone (published 5 May 2009)
10. Dead in the Family (published 4 May 2010)
11. Dead Reckoning (published 3 March 2011)
12. Deadlocked (published 1 May 2012)
13. Dead Ever After (published 7 May 2013)
13.5 After Dead: What Comes Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (published 29 October 2013) ½ ★

 

No comments:

Post a Comment